What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
rabidtictac

Re: What are you playing?

Post by rabidtictac » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:03 am

Romancing Saga 2 is fucking brutal. The scaling is insane. Normal random encounters become superbosses in no time at all. Most of the actual bosses are so difficult that you'll wonder if this is an endgame challenge. Almost everything in the fucking game can and will one-shot your characters unless you specifically have immunity or damage reduction on that element. The main way to beat bosses, as far as I can tell, is to spam stun with a fast character every round so the boss loses its chance to do anything. Which works great until it stops working. AoE healing doesn't exist for a long time, but every enemy in the world has AoE damage spells.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:16 am

Devs seemingly got their shit together in RS3 HD, but iirc RS2 HD had a pretty bad reputation for some reason (bugs? balancing issues?). Original SNES/SFC version isn't that hard even if you grind maybe they changed something. I just hope they finally make RS1 HD. Current definitive edition is probably Wonderswan Color version but who the fuck even emulate a Wonder fucking Swan. RS1 needs some justice. Minstrel Song is a trash due to all damn midget chibi character models. Fuck chibi.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:19 am

Romancing Saga 3 HD remaster is great tbh. I have no complaints regarding it. The backgrounds are beautiful and the game is 100% intact with minor bug fixes. The result is a game that looks beautiful, features fantastic music and plays like a highly-polished 2d SaGa. It's probably the easiest SaGa game to get immersed in. It's not as slow and clunky as Minstrel Song (you can run fast and cover screen space quickly) and there's a lot less to micro-manage than in that game. Romancing Saga 3 is still a hard game, but it's not overly punishing, since you can restore LP at an inn. You can NG+ at any time if you fuck up a quest and don't have a save handy to fix it or just feel like starting over to see a new character path. I don't know if that makes the game "too easy," but I really, really fucking doubt it when you consider how insanely strong the bosses are. And HP doesn't carry over. I've died so many times to bosses like Yama and Forneus, trying to fight them way before I was supposed to.

I would like it if they'd port romancing saga 1. But I'd settle for a digital port of Minstrel Song if that's what they want to give us. SaGa Frontier 1 and 2 would be nice also. I mean, ideally we'd get an HD remake of original SaGa 2, but that won't happen.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:17 pm

RS3 HD basically looks like how the mobile ports of FF5 and FF6 should've looked. It's just a beautiful 2D JRPG, with only a few effects breaking the illusion of an authentic 16-bit experience (boss sprites are typically animated in a way not really possible on old systems, unless someone were to go absolutely apeshit with Mode 7 or something).
AdorableOtter wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:16 am
Devs seemingly got their shit together in RS3 HD, but iirc RS2 HD had a pretty bad reputation for some reason (bugs? balancing issues?).
A very short glance at the review section on Steam seems to suggest that the initial release was quite buggy, but I guess they managed to patch that shit out.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:24 pm

RS2 also looks quite a bit worse. Partly because that's how RS2 originally looked, but also because the updated texture work isn't really that impressive. RS2 has a very derpy style and could be mistaken for an rpgmaker game.

It doesn't help anything that the looping music in Avalon gets really annoying after a while. You have to spend a LOT of time in Avalon setting up your team after/between generation shifts. The music seems fun the first time (bombastic trumpets announcing how great the Emperor is,) but 20 minutes later and you're still hearing the same shit because you haven't quite finished getting your team ready? You'll be muting that shit.

Nothing in RS3 even comes close. The town theme in Pidona is fine and you only need to spend a few minutes there managing your stored items or checking in with the workshop.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:16 pm

Anybody remember this game? I never see people talk about this one either.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:36 pm

Never even heard of it.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:41 pm

Actually heard about it, but never got around to checking it out. It's basically a JRPG, but for PC.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:08 am

My younger brother decided to play Breath of Fire 3. I'm tempted to do it as well so I can show him the power of perfectly, autistically-built characters in that game.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:15 am

Breath of Fire IV, nigga. I like BoF 3's story but the game is so fucking slow. And the Masters stuff is too complex for me. At least in BoF IV, I just do whatever and don't care.
RAPEMAN wrote: