What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: What are you playing?

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:23 pm

Really, the whole franchise is an allegory for AIDS.
rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:08 pm
Despite all the campy '50s sci-fi trappings, underground missions in 4 are kinda horrifying.
Especially the 4th one had an intense af cave mission where you're in some tunnel complex with insects coming from everywhere.
They also love introducing kaiju-sized insects in these missions, so you have moments where the tunnel opens up into a gigantic cavern whose ceiling you can't see, with some fuckhuge monster creeping in and out of the shadows.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:07 pm

The queens in EDF are motherfuckers. They hang out in a big central chamber and they spray this wave of acid that washes over and around the environment like it has water physics. Even if you hide behind something, the wave of acid will find you and deal a shit-ton of damage over time. So I figured "hey, I'll fly out into the chamber and fight the 3 queens with my wing diver." Big mistake. I fly out and get sprayed by 3 of nature's Mace cans. Can't see shit, take a ton of damage and run out of energy almost immediately. Best way to handle the entrenched bugs is to use long-range weapons and fire through the entrance to their lair. I used to know that in 2017, but I had to learn it again. :lol:

There's a mission in 2017 that also starts you off in the middle of a bug fight with no safe place. Almost all passageways in that map have multiple tunnels leading in and out, so you can't avoid being flanked. You start that mission, fight fight fight, hope to god you live and then the mission ends. Pretty close, again, to concepts of bug-fighting from Armor and Starship Troopers.

I respect edf2 for the class shit, but 2017 introduced squad mates and that really makes all the difference in the kinds of missions the devs can build and the battles they can show. Edf2 feels extremely small, since it's always you vs everything on the map. Sure, allies might be useless, but that's not the point. The point is how fighting alongside an army makes you feel. And also how it feels when they all die in front of you, often as a result of friendly fire. 8-)
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:39 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:23 pm
Really, the whole franchise is an allegory for AIDS.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:35 pm

It's the bug worth chasing.
rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:07 pm
The queens in EDF are motherfuckers. They hang out in a big central chamber and they spray this wave of acid that washes over and around the environment like it has water physics. Even if you hide behind something, the wave of acid will find you and deal a shit-ton of damage over time. So I figured "hey, I'll fly out into the chamber and fight the 3 queens with my wing diver." Big mistake. I fly out and get sprayed by 3 of nature's Mace cans. Can't see shit, take a ton of damage and run out of energy almost immediately. Best way to handle the entrenched bugs is to use long-range weapons and fire through the entrance to their lair. I used to know that in 2017, but I had to learn it again. :lol:
2025 / 4.1 has a fun mission where you can't really move through the cave entrance to get to the queen 'cause the short tunnel leading up to it is constantly filled with ants and acid.
There's a mission in 2017 that also starts you off in the middle of a bug fight with no safe place. Almost all passageways in that map have multiple tunnels leading in and out, so you can't avoid being flanked. You start that mission, fight fight fight, hope to god you live and then the mission ends. Pretty close, again, to concepts of bug-fighting from Armor and Starship Troopers.
Sound very familiar. Seems to be franchise constant.
The point is how fighting alongside an army makes you feel. And also how it feels when they all die in front of you, often as a result of friendly fire. 8-)
It's always fun to get to a huge battle mission, with dozens of NPC buddies, tanks and everything.
Also I've lost count of the number of NPCs I've murdered because they decided to get in the way when I was just about to shot some aliens.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

CuckTurdginson

Post by CuckTurdginson » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:14 pm

Started Witcher 3. Like it ok.
ebin namefag wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:06 am
I don't know when they divorced I just know that it's Brad's fault.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat May 01, 2021 8:32 am

So I started Tales of Maj ... Tales of Maya.... ToME.
Have started as a Dwarven Bulwark (the dorfiest character I could start with). Somewhat glad I started with lifes since I got one-shotted twice in a mausoleum right next to the first overworld city you find.
Very fun overall, but there are thre things that just really bug me. I know this is like a one-man project, but I'm kinda amazed these haven't already been fixed:
  • The classic HUD and the grid overlay don't work well together at all. The overlay appears to always use the new HUD's width, but the classic one is wider so the entire grid overlay is shifted to the side and no longer aligns with the actual grid. I'm pretty sure you could fix that by adjusting one line of code.
  • I had to remap all the numpad run hotkeys because the game (at least on my system) just plain doesn't understand "Shift + Numpad Key", even though that's the default setting.
  • The inventory basically requires the use of the mouse for quick item access. Every item's first column gives it a unique letter identifier like in every Roguelike, but you can't select an item by pressing that letter. This works in shop menus, but not in the inventory window. There's a fan-made addon that fixes this, but this is just baffling af. That addon also claims it's because the inventory puts focus on the wrong component in the inventory window and you could technically get around it without the addon by focusing on the right component, but I haven't managed to get this to work. If clicked on the actual fucking table, and the letters still don't work. Oh well, gotta install the addon for my next character I guess.
EDF5 SpergShow
So I've been playing as the Fencer this time around. I initially started on Normal but then switched over to Hard since the additional Armor and Weapons I got from the Ranger run made Normal a bit boring. It's certainly not boring now :lol:

I'm really starting to notice the nerfed range of the latter Blasthole Spear models, and find myself using the Spine Driver in many non-cave missions. Sure, this weapon doesn't pierce, but it has more range than either attack of the 2-hit Blasthole combo, and it deals more damage than the first hit of that combo. It also doesn't have any windup or recovery animation, so you can use it in conjunction with say a shotgun. Plus an instashot weapon is always nice to pop the occasional red ant that gets too close.

Speaking of them red ants are easily the most harmless critters so far. Sure, they're the spongiest of (non-kaiju) insects, but they can't really do much. Their attack has short range, comes with plenty of telegraphing, and is really more annoying than anything else since it doesn't really do a lot of damage.

Regular ants, on the other hand? Fuck, they can really dish out the hurt if they manage to hit with a point-blank acid attack. Their speed can also be somewhat unsettling in underground missions. I recently had one in an overrun EDF base where I was kiting like a mofo, and yet there was always an ant that managed to not only keep up with me, but actually overtake me.

Also fuck spiders and their flying counterparts the hornets. Spiders have always been a real nightmare, but I've completely forgotten that hornets might actually be worse.
Sure, they're nothing special if there's just a few of them, but once they reach critical mass they will eat through your armor like nothing. Kiting is also tricky since any moment you come to a stop for even a fraction of a second will have you eat dozens of stingers or webs.
Worst of all the Cannon Shot aka fuckhuge shotgun weapons are few and far between in levels, so my current one just no longer has enough oomph to delete enough hornets from the sky. I keep having to trade my melee weapon for an Arm Hound (fastest missile launcher of the Fencer, and the only missile weapon that gives you a dash) to thin their numbers fast enough.
These two insects wil also give you new appreciation for NPC buddies. They draw a lot more aggro than you do, so you better collect them like it's Pokemon.

The pillbugs are fucking lulzy, certainly one of the more humorous ways to die. They can thankfully be glitched out somewhat easily in cities since they can't actually destroy any buildings. Better hope there's somewhere for you to hide :lol:
Or just get a shield and hide in a corner. They can't knock you down if you have your shield up.

Drones of either type aren't much to write home about. It sucks a bit that the Fencer generally doesn't have great missile options (though the Arm Hound gets very good very fast if you can find upgrades), but so far I have always managed to one-shot all but the red types with as single hit of the Hand Cannon.

Curiously enough the large aliens are the most harmless enemies for the Fencer. Any given short-ranged weapon will tear through them like nothing, and they're nice big targets for a pair of Hand Cannons (easily the best ranged Fencer weapon IMO. Nothing deletes shit from the map quite as fast).
Except for the snipers. Holy shit do they have high DPS.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot sperging about tadpoles and Deroys.
Deroys aren't too bad once you fucked up their legs enough (missile launchers help, as to shotguns). Then you just have to keep moving to avoid their artillery fire. Any Deroys with missile pods are top priority because those missiles are annoying af. Aside from those missiles I'd say they're easier than in the previous game because their head is wider and therefore easier to hit.
Tadpoles are somewhat more annoying than red ants, but certainly the least dangerous flying critter. Just keep moving because they love to carpet bomb the same spot at once.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat May 01, 2021 12:47 pm

I never got into TOME. Having to use the mouse in a roguelike is peak heresy.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat May 01, 2021 1:04 pm

I guess you could scroll through the items one at a time, if you're into that sort of thing.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat May 01, 2021 2:31 pm

Caves of Qod did that and it was also terrible. Nethack set the gold standard for roguelikes in terms of controls and everyone should copy it in that regard.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat May 01, 2021 3:14 pm

Tbf the game also let's you press tab to only show items of a certain category, but still. The letters are right there in the table. Why do I need a fan mod to use them?
-Yours Truly