What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:57 pm

ban wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:17 am
Did you name your character Ares mayhaps? :mrgreen:
I didn't go that far.
ban wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:17 am
What's your prefered MonHun style gents? Oldschool from 1 up to Tri, the new school with 4 up to Generations or World?
I've actually never played a MonHun older than 3U.
I'm not as anti-World as many people are. My biggest problem with it is actually it's shitty performance. It has no business running as badly as it does but I guess nips just can't into computers.
That aside, I like the new movesets and I don't mind much of the streamlining. Nobody ever liked having to collect whetstones and if you're not using whetfish instead you're doing it wrong anyway. :lol:
I'm not okay with the difficulty, though. It's nothing but super easy all the way through High Rank even. And then you fight Jho who does nothing but throw massive AOE damage around, worse than Brachidios ever did. Now bringing out a DLC that isn't G-Rank sets a nasty example for the future.

As for the others, I liked under water combat and being able to go on an endless hunt in 3U.
I wasn't too much of a fan of the expeditions in (a big game) 4U. I did like the relic weapons you could get, though. Mounting was overdone in that game.
Generations is probably the best of the classic style games. The different styles are a mixed bag. But once you found what style works best for what weapon it's actually pretty cool.

tl;dr: I don't really dislike any MonHun too much but none of them are perfect either.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:18 pm

I prefer old style MonHun. Freedom Unite was my entry point and I played the shit out of it. Played 3U and 4U recently and I prefer 3U. With every gen, I feel like the games get way too "nice," culminating of course with World, which is much, much, much too nicey-nice. It gives you too much free/unlimited stuff. I don't dislike World, but it's probably my least-favorite of the games. Lack of monsters doesn't help.

Whetstones aren't the problem btw. The problem in World is the other shit you get for free, like bugnets and pickaxes. Pickaxes being free means you can collect as much ore as you want, and normally ore is an early bottleneck. The slingshot in World is op as fuck and largely invalidates the need for a Gunner set. You can just find those shotgun seeds and spam those to stun monsters. Monsters themselves are easy like you said. One product of fixing the control issues inherent in the portable versions is the monsters become easier. Add to that all the other convenience features that make the game easier and, well, it's just easier. A lot of the environmental interactions give you free shit too, such as the frogs that become shock traps.

I'll get Generations eventually. I also don't have an issue with the underwater combat in 3U. It gives you a real exploration feeling, to dive deep and find treasure. Basically doubles the size of levels and increases the impression of a long journey.

If 3U maintains the level of quality I saw in the short amount I played it, I might pick that one as the "best" MH game. But freedom unite is also fantastic. FU has the farming aspect, which I always saw as a concept that plays nicely with the other features in monster hunter. You go out, spend 30 minutes killing a huge rathalos, then you come back and unwind by doing some gathering on your farm. You could get a lot of nice materials on your farm without using the pickaxes and other items you normally would need. Sometimes the rewards for farming were better than the rewards from hunting. But the farm only refreshed after each hunt.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:37 pm

That farm was pretty darn neat. Though the hitboxes drove me crazy at times. This game isn't called "FU" for nothing.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:02 am
Just for the cats it's worth it alone. I totally forgot that I named my two main palicos "Phobos" and "Deimos". :lol:
Always figured Mars was your favorite Sailor Senshi.
ban wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:20 pm
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:17 am
FALCOM TALK
MORE FALCOM TALK
Man, I keep forgetting the relationship between Quintet and Falcom. That makes things slightly less surprising.

(And I'm currently mostly worried that I already have one bloke for every element, and that any additional character that'll come afterwards will be either a shitter or better version of a bloke I already have.)
I guess you're playing the PC version, in which case, I can only commend you for suffering through NISA's localization. Only the bravest of souls can laugh at the abyss or as the MC says "Thank Cthulhu". :lol:
And here I was wondering what Falcom was smoking :lol:
Though I've survived Secret of Mana translations referencing German soap operas. I think I can handle that shit.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

ban

Post by ban » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:06 pm

She's everyone's favourite.

It's both, depending on the element actually. You get a fire sword dude that's worse in combat than the MC but has some funny story bits due to being the only son of the local Yakuza syndicate and for the rest I blank out since I mostly use him, the MC, not-moeDougi girl and the totally-not-an-Over-Zenith-Character-rip-off idol lady. She does have a kick-ass idol song as well :

Assiman wrote:You know who else is never wrong? Ban.
poonoo wrote:You just got ban'd!
He warned youShow

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:13 pm

Lol, didn't occur to me that game opening song is supposed to be from them. Figured they'd be more doki doki kawaii desu.

And my main keepers so far would be ice sword waifu (because she has the best projectiles so far, making her useful to plink away at the boss' health from a distance) and hacker husbando (who can actually move around while shooting, which might be even more useful depending on the boss). The karate waifu with easy access to pantyshots feels like the most bland so far. The help section talks about her air dash being better or something, but so far they all do the exact same thing. Her charge attack hits like a truck, though, but why would you ever use that one in a boss' face if you can just use an invincible air dash?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

ban

Post by ban » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Rapier-fu is cool for the first levels but my style is evident by my team in Ys7 : Adol, Geis and Dougi, so it's combo-pound town all day. Same here, so I ditched her for that kind of composition but since SpiKa-girl is on the team and I liked the combo potential between Feel and Juju in OZ, I put her in the team with Yakuza guy to have fun. I don't remember anyone having a particular edge in air dashing, just that the MC might have the best dive attack of them all.
He warned youShow

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:19 pm

Oh god here comes the pages of weeb speak again.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:30 pm

-Yours Truly

ban

Post by ban » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:02 pm

mad bum wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:19 pm
Oh god here comes the pages of weeb speak again.
お前はまだ何も見ていません, マッドバムん! :lol:
He warned youShow

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:06 pm

SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]