MonHun

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: MonHun

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:51 pm

I really have to wonder why Gunlance has such low usage by players. It's really damn good in this game.
A quick gameplan guide for Funlance:

Wyvernfire ASAP! You'll get to do it more often and the lance does more damage when it's hot.

Wyrmstake weakspots or if it's the last action that will land on a monster that will move away. Otherwise, focus on shelling/poking.

Shelling: Go for full bursts after a slam with Normal type, charged shots with Long type and regular shelling with Wide type. Only go for other shelling if you'd otherwise not hit or hit a tough spot.

Defence: Use blocking but don't forget about dodging. Often, you may block a move that you could've just sidestepped and kept on attacking.

Slam: It's your best friend. When your lance is up in the air, you can follow with a slam. So either from the 1+2 if you press 1 or from the forward+1 charge attack if you press 1+2. Stake/WF/Burst depending on the situation.
If you're completely empty, you can quick reload after the swipe and will go back into upwards swing into slam again just by pressing 1.

Funlance is fucking great in World! Just never save up a WF or a Stake when you can use them and don't forget that shelling ignores tough spots. Grab you whetstones and go nuts!
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:00 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:34 pm

saving space

That's about it for beginner tips.
Thanks some useful hints in there. Im already doing the botanical garden stuff, mostly to grow parashrooms for those capture bombs.
Going to stop farming for a bit now and just move forward since the new limited bounties are all ??? for me which probably means I need to get to that point first before I can even start them.

Btw what puzzles me a bit is that for all the monsters I know about so far there is no difference between blunt or sharp damage type.
I figured the game would differentiate between them a lot more like for example tails are weaker to slashing damage and heads weaker to blunt dmg. So you either have to adapt what weapon type you will use against the monster you want to fight or have to adapt where you hit the monster.
Will these things change in high rank or is it part of the steamlining that basically every weapon can be used on every monster and all its parts equally?

And since I was new to the series I picked a basic weapon like long sword but once I get far enough to do the limited bounties again Ill get those done and then start picking a second and third weapon so Im not dumbfounded on what to do in arena quests when I play another weapon type.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:35 pm

Longsword is a good weapon for most hunts in the game. Some monsters are much easier when you have a swing that goes directly over your head. It's helpful to hit flying monsters or monsters that are very big.

The r1 swings also ignore enemy armor/can't be repelled.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:31 pm

There is a difference between blunt and sharp: blunt is generally better against "hard" body parts (mostly the head), while sharp is usually better against softer parts and pretty much required to cut off tails.
One major exception to this damage type system is the vanilla Lance, which will always be treated as having the most effective type against any given body part it hits.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:37 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:31 pm
There is a difference between blunt and sharp: blunt is generally better against "hard" body parts (mostly the head), while sharp is usually better against softer parts and pretty much required to cut off tails.
One major exception to this damage type system is the vanilla Lance, which will always be treated as having the most effective type against any given body part it hits.
Then why does the monster guide thing give the same star ratings?
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:32 am

It's a low rank thing. That mostly changes later on. The ingame information with it's three stars isn't exactly the most accurate thing anyway and you're mostly right with your assumption. If we take a look at Diablos:

We see that it's pretty much what you'd expect. Bottom of the tail is a lot weaker to slash, the hard top of it is weaker to impact.
Don't get too confused by impact dealing less damage to the head, which is very hard. Any attack by blades that doesn't have ESP (cuts through everything, like LS spirit attacks) will absolutely bounce. So it may cause a tiny bit more damage but makes one stumble, costs a good bit of sharpness and won't KO like a hammer would. I don't think a blade with even white sharpness can cut a Diablos head but a hammer with only green sharpness already wouldn't bounce.

Lances do pierce damage, both of them. With the poking attacks anyway. I believe that the Funlance slam does impact and that the swipe from both does slash. The upwards swipe of the Gunlance does slash as well.
Both won't bounce on a low rank Diablos head at green sharpness, for example. The upwards swipe of the Gunlance does, however. That can lead to one messing up if you're happily poking away at it's head and then decide to go for an upwards swipe into slam and suddenly bounce. If you're far away that only the slam hits it won't bounce.

I'm not 100% certain about the swipe, though. I have yet to bounce on anything doing that move and especially on a downed monster you hit it in multiple areas. It may have natural ESP even.
Of course, wyrmstake and shelling don't care about any of that. Wyrmstake can't bounce and shelling deals true damage anyway because it counts as an explosion. Wyrmstake will do fuckall damage to a resilient part, though. In a weakspot it can sometimes even compete with wyvernfire.
The swipe by the regular Lance is really only ever used to get off small monsters from you. I've played it hundreds of hours in 4U and I don't believe I've ever used it against a large monster.

Edit: That image came out hilariously tiny. Here's the link to it for a closer look.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:46 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:32 am
I don't think a blade with even white sharpness can cut a Diablos head but a hammer with only green sharpness already wouldn't bounce.
The only thing I'd add to this is the longsword r1 string never ever bounces no matter the sharpness. So it's very useful for situations where you have a chance to get in a lot of damage on an armored monster, but wouldn't normally be able to without the weapon bouncing off.

Another advantage of this is you can go ham on a heavily-armored tail without worrying about the blade bouncing off or about losing that critical bit of sharpness to take your weapon down into bounce-off territory.

Certain attacks in MonHun have the property of never bouncing off. The hammer's charged r1 likewise will never bounce off.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:22 am

Dual Blades in "Rip and Tear"-mode (or whatever it was called) never bounce, too. Also pretty much every charged Great Sword attack AFAIK. And the Switch-Axe in sword mode.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:33 am

I did say moves that have ESP. Pretty much every weapon either has one or doesn't care about bouncing like lances and projectile weapons.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:54 pm

How often do you guys get the failed to connect error?
I really expected a patch by now to fix this.

Im perfectly content playing single player but had some people join my game recently and that was pretty fun too. Seems about 40% chance I get in a lobby and 60% of the time I get an error. Of course everytime I think "lets see how the flares work, or lets help somebody out" those are the times I get the connection error...
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine