MonHun

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
AngrySpoonySnob

Re: MonHun

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:17 pm

Im still in doubt if I want monster hunter. Every review I watch or read is talking from the perspective from long time fans of the series so while they give some useful information its not from my own newcomer perspective.

Might sound stupid but what does this series or MH world in particular have over a game like god eater 2? It seems to have more variety for one in monsters and weapons but how much more and what other things make this game the best out of the monster hunter genre?
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Pepsi Man

Post by Pepsi Man » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:24 pm

It's the most beginner friendly Monster Hunter with the most fun combat mechanics in the entire franchise. It makes multiplayer a lot easier to drop in and out of and rebalances the game so a solo player can, feasibly, do every single piece of content without having to deal with multiplayer health and damage multipliers (except on Kulve Taroth but she's garbage anyway).

Aside from that the game is just hunting monsters. There's really no way to describe it. Every action is a deliberate action and the game feels like it has weight. You get punished for playing improperly and you... win if you play properly. If you enjoy the idea of killing something to make something out of it and then using that to kill another thing to make something out of that thing and repeating that then this is the game for you.

There's numerous reviews where people talk about this being their first monster hunter. Almost all of them have come to realize they had a bad view of monster hunter until they actually gave it a try but that's because this one was built with the idea of rebooting the series, in a sense. If you've never played one this is the one you should start with.
Guest wrote:Poopy Man

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:27 pm

AngrySpoonySnob wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:17 pm
Might sound stupid but what does this series or MH world in particular have over a game like god eater 2? It seems to have more variety for one in monsters and weapons but how much more and what other things make this game the best out of the monster hunter genre?
With regards to to GE2:
  • The amount of different weapons is similar if you count both guns and melee weapons, but each weapon type in MonHun is more fleshed out
  • Better weapon balance (guns are broken as shit in GE)
  • More elaborate armor system, showing a better progression of your character getting more badass (actual pieces of armor instead of a shield, and I guarantee most GE players rarely bother with the cosmetic outfits once they've found their favorite set.)
  • Equipment customization is more restrictive, but this makes things harder to cheese
  • Bigger maps
  • More monster variety, und sub-species feel more distinct (sub-species in GE tend to have like 1 or 2 different attacks, and some like the Fallen Ouroboros are just a harder version of the vanilla monster)
  • Combat is slower-paced with less opportunities to cancel out of shit and feels overal more polished
  • No full AI buddies; you get some cats instead
  • Monsters aren't as easily distracted (GE's AI buddies are pretty good at aggro, and when those Aragami want to eat stuff they not only lose interest in you, but essentially refuse to acknowldege your existance for a good while) and will kick your teeth in if you're not careful
  • Less fights against multiple big monsters at the same time, and when that happens you generally want to separate them ASAP.
(That's not to say that having your waifu avatar shoot the shit out of biomechanical hippo tanks isn't fun. It's just a different kind of fun.)
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Most monster hunter clones really don't capture that feeling of wandering through a real ecosystem.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:49 pm

A lot of GE maps are effectively arenas, and even the bigger ones spawn you just a few seconds away from the monster (whose current position is known to you in 99% of all cases).
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:19 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:46 pm
Most monster hunter clones really don't capture that feeling of wandering through a real ecosystem.
It's very much the downtime from actual hunts I enjoy a lot and what brings balance to the game for me.
You're a hunter and a gatherer. You generally want to pick up pretty much everything, craft all kinds of things out of them and optimise your loadout.
For as what's most unique I'd say it's that there is no leveling. You don't get better by investing time without actually getting better as a player. All gear must be earned fair and square and you can't really cheese a monster in some brute force attempt to beat it once and get your reward. You need to defeat it many times, actually learning how to fight it and show some resourcefulness.

It's hard to describe the feel of MonHun. It's not even like it's a very difficult series or even especially hard to get into. It's just very different from what may already know.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:46 am

And the cohesive world is one of the parts I think MH World gets the most right. There are all kinds of passive creatures in the world now and you can interact with them in all kinds of ways. Plenty of animals that you might think are just there for flavor can be captured and placed in your room, or interacted with to create temporary buffs or debuff zones. There are fatass frogs you can kick, which will cause them to send out a shockwave of electricity that creates a makeshift stun trap for any big monsters in the area.

The flies that show you where to go are just bugs, and there are omenflies and other bugs that act as both signals of what's going on and more animals in the game world that make it feel alive.

World also does a great thing by adding the new slingshot. It gives every player a ranged option for those times when the monster is flying around and being a dick, and you can use the ammo you collect to set up interesting on-the-fly traps. And let's not forget, having a 2nd stick really does make the game play so much more smoothly. But what I have to congratulate them on the most is the slingshot, because that was a stroke of genius. All the different ammo types simplify the old item system while also giving you even more reason to interact with the world. Being able to use ammo collected from animals, brush and rocks gives you that Stranger's Wrath feeling that you are part of the world.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:02 pm

That's really what most MonHun clones don't seem to get: monster fights are fun and all, but a big part of what makes MonHun MonHun is the way yo get to those fights. The games make you feel like you're intruding into a living ecosystem. You can go fishing, mining, looking for shrooms... all while clones seem to be content with floating "Press X for free shit"-orbs in a sterile environment.

It also doesn't help that these clones - though mainly God Eater and Toukiden - like to set everything in a post-apocalyptic setting where the monsters are literal monsters, and anything outside of your HQ is a dead zone.

In MonHun, monsters are a natural part of the world that are put on a hunting list when they clash with civilization. Monst of the missions don't even care if you actually kill it, capturing is just fine.
In MonHun-clones on the other hand, the monsters are the bad guy.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:13 pm

I always really enjoyed in MonHun3U to go into the free hunt area with nothing but the bare minum gear. Just something to cook meat and that's it. Not even grind stones. Just go out there, scavange stuff, build things, maybe hunt a monster, maybe avoid it instead.
It's the calm pauses of gameplay you can go for. Otherwise it would be nothing but a boss rush game.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:47 pm

starting my hunting adventures in a few hours you niggas been playing yet?
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine