MonHun

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: MonHun

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:14 pm

Also getting 5 or more honey in one go sometimes instead of waiting around.
Besides that are there any other conveniences unique to GenU, let alone any negative ones? Maybe the in hunt deliveries you can buy?
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:24 pm

There are a few.

Meals are easier to customize and you can always get the exact buffs you want. You had to memorize combos in 2nd Gen and 3U/4U didn't give you complete control. It just showed you what the result would be but there were no sauce toppers.
Holding the button to gather instead of tapping it, which is purely superior as you said.
Getting more x2 items or higher when gathering, as opposed to gathering everything one at a time in older games.
Being able to move the camera freely OR use target cam (or both), rather than being limited to claw.
Palicoes are more useful and you can have 3 instead of being limited to 2.
Palicoes can be highly customized, rather than getting what you get like in 2nd Gen or having to earn masks in 3U.
Fucking 3U masks in particular are such a pain.
Prowler mode in general is a new thing so I won't count it, but it's pretty cool and gives you infinite pickaxes/bugnets.
Fishing didn't use to be infinite IIRC.
The skills make the game easier in a sense. Absolute Evasion alone I would have KILLED for in 2nd gen. Absolute Evasion lets you dodge shit that would otherwise be impossible to avoid, or get out of being cornerlocked. You really feel the difference on how much easier skills make the experience when you go back to 3U and have to fight something fast.

None of these changes are bad btw. I'd argue most are good or necessary changes. But all of the quality of life improvements do make the game easier, which is why I'm pretty certain they increased monster speed to help compensate. Certain monsters seem a fair bit faster than they were in 3U and 4U.

Another point that's only in 3U is that you don't have to learn the swimming mechanics if you play Gen. The swimming had its own learning curve that added depth to the experience. If I didn't have so much nostalgia for freedom unite, there'd be no question of 3U being the best one.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:49 am

Three palicos? That's news to me.
As for the hunter arts one doesn't have to use them. I get that that's a relatively shit argument in general but it doesn't feel like the game is balanced around it. It's not like tenderizing in World, which is absolutely required and turns the game into Je Suis Montê 2 Turbo: Arcade Edition.

Anything that could be criticized, to me, is more than made up for by the sheer content.
That and styles are great. Often criticized but then how is it different to weapons being different in World? Other than me having the choice to play a weapon in many different ways, of course.
World CB is elemental 3 discharge all day every day even worse than it was in 4U. GenU CB can be many different things.
The purists can get their guild style, I get some fresh new styles and who wants to play the worst version of almost any weapon yet can play World and (have to) use the fucking claw for 90% of the hunt. Everyone is happy.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:47 am

Only 2 Palicoes there are. No more, but certainly less. Unless you're in Prowler Mode.

And some Hunter Arts can be a bit cheesy, like a SWaxe setup that lets you stay in Sword Mode pretty much forever.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Nehezir

Post by Nehezir » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:52 pm

oh right. forgot I was here.

Pretty much agree with all this. I'm about to start a new character on GU and actively focus on deviant gear.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:12 am

Apparently, there's a new MonHun coming out next year with a dog pet. Opinions?
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:12 am

It better be a dachsund or pug.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:50 pm

You mean the nintendie switch version which looks like a PS2 game? Yeah.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:39 pm

As if this callback to the greatest console generation that ever was and ever will be is a bad thing :roll:
-Yours Truly

Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Moe Bitches » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:37 pm

Just by the thumbnail you could tell this was awful.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.