MonHun

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: MonHun

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:06 pm

Completely new thing. There was no grabbing onto monsters in any previous MonHun.
Mounting was just accumulating aerial hit damage, which would topple the monster and lead into a riding minigame. The payoff was it getting downed for a moment.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:10 pm

So strange.... "lets add a mechanic totally ruining our previous gameplay loop that people loved"

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:49 pm

Another thing I just remember World had: Generic weapons. Super odd.
Sure, you always had the metal, stone and bone upgrade paths but anything made of monster parts had it's unique design.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

ban

Post by ban » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:56 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:49 pm
Another thing I just remember World had: Generic weapons. Super odd.
Sure, you always had the metal, stone and bone upgrade paths but anything made of monster parts had it's unique design.
Now that sounds curious.

What in the actual fuck? This is just like God Eater Burst, except that game had the actual excuse of "Sorry, 95% of our non-existent budget went to the battle system and bullet customization, here's some elemental variants, enjoy!"

And that was 11 years ago.
Assiman wrote:You know who else is never wrong? Ban.
poonoo wrote:You just got ban'd!
He warned youShow

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:30 pm

Yeah, that was very weird. So unusual that I completely forgot about it since the last MonHun I played was GenU and there you are spoiled with content.

World really seems like a prototype in some aspects.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

ban

Post by ban » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:33 pm

And yet, MH Rise is the one that uses the new spiffy engine that Capcom wants to shove down everybody's throats because of
>muh photorealism
and whatever shit their PR department cooked up. At least Rise shows that you can port over assets from MT Frameworks easily and have them work on RE Engine, so there's that.

One has to wonder what MH World 2 will be like though, at this point. They're just gambling if they try to go bigger than Iceborne.
He warned youShow

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:48 pm

No clue. It's not even as if World was a bad game or something. They just designed themselves into a corner with the slinger.

Every arena had multiple hazards that you could activate from afar and the slinger ammo was free and too effective.
How does one balance that? Getting good usually meant learning the patterns of monsters, not using assloads of free traps, bombs and easy flinches on demand.

Go ahead and feast your eyes on the bullshit that is Hyper Nergigante. ZERO chill, two shots you and basically doesn't care what you're doing.
Somebody fighting the thing on an expert level isn't a beautiful dance, it's them hammering the monster with the most OP shit every five seconds and the fucker still barely flinches. It's ridiculous.
All just because if it wasn't utter bullshit it would get blasted in two minutes flat, thanks to all the free damage on the map.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:34 pm

ban wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:56 pm
What in the actual fuck? This is just like God Eater Burst, except that game had the actual excuse of "Sorry, 95% of our non-existent budget went to the battle system and bullet customization, here's some elemental variants, enjoy!"
And don't forget that this was Gen 1 of God Eater. Didn't really had too many critters around.
MonHun by the time of world probably had hundreds of unique weapon designs.
ban wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:33 pm
And yet, MH Rise is the one that uses the new spiffy engine that Capcom wants to shove down everybody's throats because of
>muh photorealism
Picture a MonHun looking like Wind Waker.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:04 am

Eugh, no thanks.
I just went after the Mizutsune again after feeling confident enough. I grabbed all buffs until I was maxed out, collected some useful critters and went in about as prepared as I could and it was still a challenging fight.

Granted, I am out of practise and fairly unfamiliar with this version of the CB. I was not playing all that well.
But considering that I grabbed absolutely everything on the map that could help me out, I see that as a good indicator. It's a far cry from the map doing the work for you.

Using other monsters is pretty good, though. Hitting all your combos would do a bit more damage but if they come along anyway and get knocked into a mountable state by the one I'm fighting I'll take that ride.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

ban

Post by ban » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:07 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:34 pm
And don't forget that this was Gen 1 of God Eater. Didn't really had too many critters around.
Ah yes, I keep forgetting how the moves were gated by missions, instead of variants of monsters. Not to mention, the variants of monsters back then didn't really have major differences in gameplay bar some elemental resistances and affinities...maybe different resistances of weapon damage types and on different body parts? Gen 1 of GE was so shoe-stringed it was a miracle Burst even existed in the first place.
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:34 pm
Picture a MonHun looking like Wind Waker.
Isn't that Tri Portable though? :mrgreen:
He warned youShow