MonHun

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
AngrySpoonySnob

Re: MonHun

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:23 pm

Finally got my first 2 feints against Anjanath so it seems the difficulty is finallly starting to go up.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:49 am

If Anjanath gives you trouble, you gonna get rapecultured against the guys I mentioned. Angie is pretty easy tbh.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:12 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:49 am
If Anjanath gives you trouble, you gonna get rapecultured against the guys I mentioned. Angie is pretty easy tbh.
He didnt give me trouble though I just feinted twice because he was the first one I couldnt just blindly button mash, the previous fights just made me complacent. Had more trouble fighting the camera than the monster itself.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:14 pm

Sounds like my first encounter with Khezu-chan.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Second time hunting him 0 feints since I learned to just run when the camera isnt doing what I want until I got a clear view of the monster again.

Figured out the weekly quest / bounties thing a bit late though only 1 day left to hunt 2 more anjies and I think 4 flying wyverns which I havent even faced yet not sure if ill manage to complete it.

Also did 2 arena fights, was a bit weird to me that you have to select predetermined outfits and weapons but it was nice trying out some new weapons. Way too slow though only got C grades,
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:52 pm

I've been busy playing since PC release, taking my usual slow approach. I'm done with Low Rank now.
Low Rank is, as it was in most other MonHuns, mostly a tutorial. It took a few hours for me to fuck around with the new mechanics and such. Took a while to feel quite like Monster Hunter again.

Streamlining is usually a four letter word in vidya but I'd say they've done everything correctly. I don't miss having to craft bombshells first before building any kind of bomb. They've cut of quite a lot of arbitrary fat.
I like that I can customize my item scrollbar independent from my pouch and that new quick menue. That also took me a bit to figure out because all those usual moves from muscle memory of opening, sorting and so on fall away with that.

I'm playing Gunlance again. It's the current fifth least played weapon in the game, it seems. It's only in front of the bowguns and the regular Lance and Hunting Horn, which takes the last place, as usual. The moveset is more fluid this time around. It used to be that the only move you can fluidly go into wyverfire from is the slam. Now you can do it from absolutely every move. Being able to dodge forward also helped greatly with mobility. It feels really, really good in this game.
What took the most getting used to is quick reload being block + shell. It used to be that after shelling you'd quick reload by pushing shell again. So the new system allows for quicker shelling and for a quick reload on demand.

You can also string into slam more easily and the swipe after a slam is really good. After that, you can wyrmstake or quick reload to loop back into a slam. Some really interesting stuff, allowing to chose where to branch off. Wyvernfire? Wyrmstake? Keep wailing? Full burst? Super nice!
For the first time since 3U, the Funlance is good again!

As for other weapons:
Regular Lance is as boring but effective as ever. This time around, unlike in 4U, it isn't ahead of Funlance in terms of damage.
HBG is back to being boring again. It was really fun in Generations with the running around. I do like the special shots, though. Especially that sniper shot is cool as shit.
Greatsword pretty much has that armored stuff from MonHun Douberuu Curossu's Brave Style. I like it but wouldn't main it.
Longsword is as stylish as ever and has some anime helmsplitter. Looks nice but it's the most played weapon right now and thus a bit too fuckboy for my liking.
I didn't really try the other weapons. I don't think I'll ever get into Chargeblade, again, too popular and fuckboy for me, but I may try Switchblade eventually.

tl;dr: The game is good. I like the changes and the Gunlance is good again after two games of being pretty shit.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:01 pm

I need to upgrade my gaming rig. Sad.
AngrySpoonySnob wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:58 pm
Also did 2 arena fights, was a bit weird to me that you have to select predetermined outfits and weapons but it was nice trying out some new weapons. Way too slow though only got C grades,
That's pretty much how it's alwys been with the arena. You get fixed gear so your rank will be solely determined by your skill. It can also force you to try out gimmicky builds.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:50 pm

How many hours did that take you kugel? Am at 17 hours now and not sure if I can call it taking my time or that Im just going forward too slow atm.
It is my first MH game though but after 10 hours thats shouldnt matter anymore, Im just never sure to keep farming / doing side quests or move the story forward.

Finished my limited bounty with 48 minutes left on the clock!
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:01 am

Switch Axe, Hunting Horn and Hammer are my jams in World.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:34 pm

AngrySpoonySnob wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:50 pm
How many hours did that take you kugel? Am at 17 hours now and not sure if I can call it taking my time or that Im just going forward too slow atm.
I think I was at around 50 hours Steam time. I wasn't kidding when I said slow. Keep in mind that I have built every Gunlance up until this point, should be around nine or something, and that I like to craft armor sets so that makes for about half of that time just casually hunting for missing parts to get my Palico and me geared up in pure sets for fashion reasons. :lol:

The story more or less is something you'll eventually want to get out of the way. Many of the important unlocks are behind that. You'll want to clear every optional quest eventually as well because some things you'll only get after entire quest lines, like capturing monsters for that one scientist guy.
You should also always make every quest that gives you new food for the cantine and I'd advise you to at least somewhat progress through the story far enough to the point where you can grow stuff. Not having to go and collect everything is a great help and you'll get to passively build up a good stock of the important items before you'll really need them.

Otherwise, take as much time as you like. There's really no hurry. If you want to progress, do so. If you just want to mess around and build something, go do that.

A big advise is that you prepare and save an intentory set for hunting that covers all eventualities so you can just equip that and go out on a serious hunt without having to puzzle around in the menues all that much. My current serious hunt set is:
Mega Potions
Herbal Medicine
Energy Drinks
Nullberries
Astera Jerky or Sushifish Scales
Farcaster
Whetfish Fin or WF+
^those should go on your quick selection wheel
That covers healing, curing poison, sleep, bleed and other ailments like blights. The Farcaster lets you fuck off real quick and the Whetfish Fins sharpen quicker than Whetstones, making it easier to get a quick resharpening in during a fight.

Additionally:
Flash/Screamer/Dung Pods for crowd control
Max and Ancient Potions to top off your health if you faint or if you wanted a meal effect but didn't get enough fresh stuff.
Might and Adamant Pills for a boost in attack and defence if you feel like you need it.
Both kinds of traps and tranq bombs for capturing.
Well-Done Steaks and maybe Dash Juice for stamina.
Armor and Powercharm as soon as you can buy them. It's a straight up boost in power and defence for two intentory slots.

Set up a set like that, set up your item scroll bar and quick wheels like you want and go save that setup. That way you can quickly grab your set and go on any hunt without having to worry about stuff you may be missing.

If you hunt with others, Lifepowder is handy and if you're working with effects like sleep you'll want to carry bombs. I don't feel like that's necessary for low rank at all, though.

Always collect and use the free stuff you get for missions. Even the ammo. You may want to try out bowguns and it's nice to have a couple of thousand shots for free. Low rank capture missions often give you two trap tools, which are 200z a piece so that's a nice way of getting a couple of those for free.
If you want to hunt a specific monster, go on investigations and try to capture to maximise your rewards. It's entirely possible to get enough material from a monster to craft a weapon, a set of armor and a full set for your Palico in just five hunts if you have a good investigation for them.

That's about it for beginner tips.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!