What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
AdorableOtter

Re: What are you playing?

Post by AdorableOtter » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:49 pm

It sounds like tictac's criticism is mainly aimed towards the janky aspects of AD&D ruleset and Beamdog's additional contents (and maybe also how classic western CRPGs do not hold your hands), and not necessarily towards BG2's particular design choices. BG2 is relatively non-linear, you can leave hard encounters for later or just remove/kill annoying NPCs for example, there is really no need to act like a yes-man nice guy errand boy JRPG protagonist.

I agree the encounter design has some issues, but for different reasons (namely, overly powerful pre-buffs and brain-dead dumbfuck enemie AIs where innate immunity is the only challenge), but that can be fixed with a mod (SCS). In fact, modded BG2 has brilliant combat encounters only few others (like KotC) can match. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use that mod for the very first playthrough, though.

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:55 am
I spammed fireball until I ran out and then they healed it all. I had a mage with slots of nothing but fire and acid damage and it didn't do shit. I even had fire arrows and acid weapons. Didn't do anything.
You only need fire/acid for the finishing blow. IIRC some NPC straight up tells you to do that. This kind of immunity was somewhat common before CRPGs were dumbed down and went casual.

Also, generally speaking, (de)buffs are the real strength of mages, not damage spells. One successful debuff spell (e.g. glitter dust, web, confusion, chaos, etc) can practically end a fight.
rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:55 am
Dragon Age's ai system
That's one of the few areas where DAO excels but DAO's enemy AI sucks too (e.g. you can easily kite enemies with your tank while piecing them up with your DPS characters), and you still have to micro-manage for the best result, I don't think it makes that much difference personally. Modded BG2 totally blows DA out of water, really.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:38 pm

It makes sense that a game is less shit if you mod all the shit out of it.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:19 pm

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Greater_Wolfwere

Oh look, more bullshit.

I'd be fine with the restrictions: can only be harmed by magic and silver. Ok. But why also the insane hp regen? Also this:
Greater wolfweres have 50% magic and elemental resistance
They tell you in the fucking wiki that you have to use the entire party's damage to kill 1 guy. Ok. But you don't face this dude alone. You don't fight wolfweres alone. Ever.

Seems like the basic gimmick for every enemy now is give it hp regen up the ass.

I'm sure modded bg2 is godly compared to the jank I'm playing. I actually (mostly) don't have any complaints with Baldur's Gate 1. Not compared to BG2. BG1 doesn't have tons of cutscenes, doesn't wrench control from me to vomit diarrhea-of-the-mouth text walls from Imoen or some other fuckwit, doesn't tell me every quest is timed even if it isn't (HURRY HURRY HURRY GO GO GO DO THIS DO THIS NO DON'T DO WHAT YOU WANT WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOOOO,) and really limits the BS enemy types. Partly by virtue of being a low level adventure, and partly by being largely gameplay-centric, BG1 is breddy ok. I bet Icewind Dale is good as well.

I'm seriously tempted to shelve BG2 entirely and just run BG1 again with an evil character this time.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:01 pm

>enemy effectively only dies if you can kill it in one round, or better yet one turn

I know it's generally best to focus on one enemy at a time (since they fight at peak efficiency up to the last hit point), but this is ridiculous.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

jpakke

Post by jpakke » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:03 pm

My big problem with Dragon Age Origins is that it's so fucking boring writing- and design-wise, it's basically bunch "We gotta get with da tymes!" has beens and hacks seeing The Witcher (or reading the books), and basically trying to copy it, along with taking stuff from shit like Gayme of Thrones.

Remember this trailer?

One of the great things in BG2 is that the first two or three chapters are very open, and the quest, encounter and map design are very good, some of the quests quite involved and pretty long. The best companions in Bioware games are also in BG2, such as Edwin, Korgan, Keldorn, and I kinda liked Yoshimo, Viconia and Mazzy as well...hell even Anomen is better than companions in their later games, who are just recycled concepts from BG2 but done worse.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:13 pm

Anything calling itself "dark fantasy" is just Warhammer for babies, except they don't notice the dark humor of the original and just have everyone curse a lot (so you know it's for grown-ups).
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:42 pm

jpakke wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:03 pm
My big problem with Dragon Age Origins is that it's so fucking boring writing- and design-wise, it's basically bunch "We gotta get with da tymes!" has beens and hacks seeing The Witcher (or reading the books), and basically trying to copy it, along with taking stuff from shit like Gayme of Thrones.
Fagon Age definitely tries too hard to be edgy. Everything is "dark" and "grim." I like DA: O's gameplay and handling of ai but its story can't compare with previous entries in the genre.

I must say though, that so far I haven't liked any of the companions in BG2. I'm mainly using whoever seems the strongest. Minsc was endearing in the first game but he's worn thin now. Nalia is a boring Mary Sue. Anomen is merely ok. Aerie and Jahaera are just there for romance/fap bait. Imoen sucks ass. I will definitely give Viconia a shot when I do an evil run and the evil Dwarves are probably cool too, but the rest aren't appealing to me. I wasn't crazy about the BG1 companions either, but it's easy to be charitable to them when they waste so little of your time.

In general, it seems to me that by playing Good characters, I'm depriving myself of a superior experience. I rolled Good because I figured, y'know, muh fantasy rpg. Usually "good" is how you experience most of the gameplay in a bioware game. Going evil in the later bioware games usually locks you out of quests and sometimes characters.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:02 pm

jpakke wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:03 pm
The Industrial Revolution Gay of Tyrone and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race Fantasy genre! (but Seriously though Fuck GOT and George R.R.R.R.R.R.R.R. Martian).

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:35 am

Tolkien also did the incredibly Chad movie of stealing the heart and body of his maiden from the wealthy man she was engaged to with just one love letter, day one after waiting patiently until his promise to his adoptive guardian to not pursue said romance until he was in college was fulfilled.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:20 am

I mean, have you read those multi-page filler poems in LotR?
-Yours Truly