Youtube

Talk about the internet itself instead of people.
rabidtictac

Re: Youtube

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:05 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:21 pm
I keep seeing the thumbnail and runtime of the ads, but so far I have managed to skip them.
I noticed this happened when I partially disabled my adblocks. I was able to disable enough of them to remove youtube's player blocking, but then whenever they tried to load an ad, it would bug out and black screen for 15 seconds instead. Ayyy lmao.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:54 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:05 pm
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:21 pm
I keep seeing the thumbnail and runtime of the ads, but so far I have managed to skip them.
I noticed this happened when I partially disabled my adblocks. I was able to disable enough of them to remove youtube's player blocking, but then whenever they tried to load an ad, it would bug out and black screen for 15 seconds instead. Ayyy lmao.
If you're using uBlock Origin, you need to disable all other adblocking for Youtube (including Brave Shields), because YT may be detecting those instead of the updated uBlock filter. You don't need to uninstall or deactive those, only whitelist Youtube on them and let just uBlock origin work (I believe they're the adblock extension that is updating more frequently to counter-measure Youtube).

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:18 am

Just saw an ad thumbnail, and never was I more glad that I didn't have to actually watch the ad.
Not for the faint of heartShow

What the hell, YT?! I was just having breakfast!
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

wulfenlord

Post by wulfenlord » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:10 am

Ain't that the bloke from Oasis?
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl muh'fugen bix nood

Whenever you feel down :3
SpoilerShow

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:18 am

I have no idea how any member of Oasis looks like, but if they're anything like this creature I am glad to be ignorant.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:47 pm

They look like heroine addicts with AIDS on top of being ugly fuckers even by bong standards even without that.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:30 am

I just got a notification for an official YT announcement video from 5 years ago :|

And according to the comments this isn't the first time this has happened. I guess some intern just set this announcement to go off every year or so :lol:
-Yours Truly

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:10 am

Google decided to go all in on their war against adblocking, possibly violating many regulations and anti-trust laws around the world:

Incidentally, that delay that was noticed in Firefox is also happening in Cromium-based browsers: I personally have noticed it in Brave as well, and I thought it was Youtube just acting up on the presence of uBlock Origin, not that they were attacking the user agent itself. It shows how much Reddit jannies are utterly useless and harmful: I actually made a post describing this exact problem on /r/ublockorigin a few weeks ago, but they deleted my post because they thought it was a mere complaint about uBlock Origin not working properly (despite I specifically saying it wasn't the case, and I thought it was Youtube doing some anti-user shit). Anyhow, I'm glad it's finally noticed and hopefully Alphabet gets squashed by regulators.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:34 am

This looks like a rather unnecessary abuse of monopoly power, seeing how Chrome is at over 60% usage share while Firefox hasn't scratched the double digits in ages.
Not surprising that this affects other Chromium browsers as well. If they're already willing to bully smaller browsers, why stop at Firefox?
Thankfully it's easy to fake your user agent. It's really only a bitch with Firefox since doing it with a convenient add-on is a bit obtuse.

So they're trying to bully the other (aka smaller) browsers to force everyone to use Chrome, which will no doubt have at least one backdoor for their ads to sneak through? Can't see how that will bite them in the ass in court.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:48 pm

Good excuse for me to never switch to Chrome.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome