Videos worth watching

Talk about the internet itself instead of people.
rabidtictac

Re: Videos worth watching

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:33 am

I'm mostly just trying to learn some of the easy bypass stuff for brainlets. I've noticed that it takes him longer to do a bypass than a proper lockpick.... But I'm sure that's due to his own skill.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:30 am

Some bypass methods are a bit unreliable. It's like using a rake. I have locks that are difficult to single pin pick but will pop open in two seconds with a city rake and others that you can't zip, rake or jiggle at all but open with a hook by barely touching two pins.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:40 pm

I'm interested in all bypass methods. I was looking at the bump key method there for a bit. The way I figure it, even if I don't end up getting deep into lockpicking itself, I'll be glad to have a general idea of bypass theory if I'm locked out of something and don't care about maybe breaking the lock.

And hey, it sounds like bike locks are pathetically easy to open, as are combination locks. I'll be more happy to have that bike than he was to lose it. :P
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:49 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:40 pm
The way I figure it, even if I don't end up getting deep into lockpicking itself, I'll be glad to have a general idea of bypass theory if I'm locked out of something and don't care about maybe breaking the lock.
If you ever consider getting some picks, get them from Sparrows or Peterson.
For Sparrows, get the dipped ones. For Peterson, get the Euro or Deep Access ones.

Multipick are also really good but they'd be difficult to get and expensive outside of Germany.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:29 pm

SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:58 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:49 pm
rabidtictac wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:40 pm
The way I figure it, even if I don't end up getting deep into lockpicking itself, I'll be glad to have a general idea of bypass theory if I'm locked out of something and don't care about maybe breaking the lock.
If you ever consider getting some picks, get them from Sparrows or Peterson.
For Sparrows, get the dipped ones. For Peterson, get the Euro or Deep Access ones.

Multipick are also really good but they'd be difficult to get and expensive outside of Germany.
I've been considering it for a while, but haven't found a single package that looks ideal. I've also been wondering about just making some of my own for the bypass stuff. I should also probably own more actual tools than I do. :lol:
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:15 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:58 pm
I've been considering it for a while, but haven't found a single package that looks ideal. I've also been wondering about just making some of my own for the bypass stuff. I should also probably own more actual tools than I do. :lol:
In any case, don't get a cheap China set. They all blow and give you tons of shit you will never ever use. You'll hate them.
What you really need are:
- short hook
- deep hook
- half diamond
- DeForest or Peterson Reach
- snake
- bogota tri-peak
- city rake

That's it. Tension wrenches on the other hand you can absolutely never have enough! There is absolutely no set that I'd call perfect. You'll always have to assemble one yourself. Thus it's good to know what's bullshit and what not to buy.

"Top of the keyway" wrenches are worth their weight in gold! They are fucking awesome, work on most locks in most situations and give the best feedback.
The classic windshield wiper style tension wrenches are also needed and good. Those are great for raking and jiggling and you'll want to customise some for specific kinds of locks.

Sparrows picks are amazing! Real good shit.
With Peterson, you'll want to get the slimmer ones with the purple handle but not the super slim ones with the blue handle.
It's rarely the height of the pick that's the issue but often how wide it is.

I can very much recommend the "hooker" and "raker" set by Sparrows. However, I'd really recommend getting single picks and assembling a small kit that contains what I listed above.
You can forego the city rake and DeForester for the bare essentials.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:26 pm

I really appreciate these posts. Didn't reply right away because it's a lot of info I'm going to have to take in slowly as I look over my options.

For locks, do you just find random old locks places? I was wondering if it's viable to post on some random craigslist or whatever "looking for old free locks" and collect them that way. Or ask people I know if they have some. I'm pretty sure I have some super shitty padlock I've never used.

The destructive bypass stuff I guess I wouldn't be able to practice unless I found a real rusted-out piece of shit.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:27 pm

People will sell boxes full of padlocks, often without keys, on ebay and such for next to nothing.
I also guarantee you that you'll find padlocks in drawers and your parent's place. People rarely ever throw them away entirely.

Padlocks are definitely the way to go for the beginning. Most have no security pins, they are an actual kind of lock you might have to pick at some point and they range in quality a lot.
Which is also interesting. A terrible padlock can actually be difficult to pick. Though easy to rake or zip.

For pick priority, it's very simple. Hook, snake and then everything else. If you can only have two, that's it.
There are "better" rakes than the snake. A bogota will open most locks faster with lower skill. But a snake works where it doesn't.
You may see ball and snowman picks in cheap sets. A snake entirely replaces those, since the edge has almost the same shape anyway. It's for those shitty disk locks on mailboxes, desk drawers or absolutely everything. A snake deals with those super well.

Again, tension wrenches you can never have enough. If you can't tension the lock properly, you can't pick it. I've cut and bent several wrenches just for specific types of locks.

tl;dr: Don't buy a huge set with shit you don't need.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:26 pm

The most relevant Jordan Peterson presentation ever: