MUH PATREON

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about
Boogie's Panniculus

Re: MUH PATREON

Post by Boogie's Panniculus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:26 pm

Stranger wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:26 am
I'm fine with Patreon charging the person making the pledge simply because the point of Patreon is to put the money in the creator's pockets. To me it makes more sense for more of the money to go to the person you're pledging to, if you're pledging to someone.

However, on the point of the 35 cents:
2.9% + $0.35 will be paid by patrons for each individual pledge
I can only imagine that this is to cover any overhead that the company has to deal with from transaction fees as well as putting money into the pockets of the people who run the website.
The "the point is to get money into the creator's hands" is a good point.

And yeah, the $0.35 thing is because of transaction fees. They state that in the blog post.
Before they would charge a person once per month. It's not super clear to me, but it sounds like they will now charge you the moment you make a pledge or when a post is made for "pay per post" pledge. It's their solution to people "stealing rewards". So now instead of one charge per month, it could be dozens.

They should just move to a pre-paid model like liberapay. So that there are less transactions per month.
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:39 am
Even if patreon was taking 10% of all pledges for themselves, it's not like there's any other service offering a much better split.
From what sense I can make, liberapay doesn't take any fees. There's just the transaction fee.

Of course that site doesn't work for nobodies because it doesn't offer rewards for giving more.
AwesomePizza wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:58 am
You can't review old movies and toys into your fifties.
Phelan is gonna put this to the test!
Poonoo wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:16 am
I'm backing only a few people on patreon, but I get charged all of it on one transaction at the end of the month. So them adding this fee is stupid unless you are paying fuck all a month like $3 total or only $1 to one person. They should only add the fee if you are spending fuck all, but like TicTac said there is probably some other reason that makes logical sense but makes you sound like a prick if you go public.
Holy shit, it's true... Poonoo is spoony's biggest patron!

Them charging everything at the end of the month is changing for new pledges. Existing "per month" pledges will be renewed at the beginning of the month. The thing that sounds shady to me is how they're applying the new fee to each pledge.
So, using poonoo as an example. I'm just going to say he is pledging $1 to 10 people.
In January, patreon will charge his account $13.79, which duplicates the $0.35 "transaction" fee 10 times despite only making one transaction on his card.
The non-shady way to do it would've been to charge $10.64, which has only one $0.35 transaction fee to match the one transaction they're making.
Where does the extra $3.15 cents go?
I might be completely wrong with how the above would actually happen. I haven't bothered to research enough to see if anyone really knows, but that's how "2.9% + $0.35 PER PLEDGE" sounds to me.

Adding a fee for people pledging a small total amount was just a thought that would be like small businesses having minimum amounts for credit/debit card purchases. If non burgers doesn't know, some small businesses, at least around me, require you to spend at least $5-10 to be able to use a card. A better solution would be a "pre-paid" model.

Unless I'm mistaken on how the new fees will be charged, I can't imagine the hidden reason being anything but "we want a way to make more money so our books will look better so we can charge whoever ends up buying us more."

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:34 am

I like the change because Internet Nobodies are mad about it. I don't care for what reason they changed it or if it's a good change. Both, those that give and those that receive money, should get fucked.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:41 am

Boogie's Panniculus wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:26 pm
Holy shit, it's true... Poonoo is spoony's biggest patron!
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Tony Schiavone

Post by Tony Schiavone » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Patreon can do it because they know people will pay for it. Simple as thst. Same why YouTube can start doing what they want too.

It's the free market. If enough people hate Patron so much, start a competitor that's cheaper. It isn't like Patron holds a monolopoly over a piece of required proprietary software. Theotically anyone should be able to copy it.

People are bitching because they know they'll just have to suck it up and eat the fees.
...and still: Spoony did nothing.

Just Some Random Guy

Post by Just Some Random Guy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:32 pm

Tony Schiavone wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:59 pm
Patreon can do it because they know people will pay for it. Simple as thst. Same why YouTube can start doing what they want too.

It's the free market. If enough people hate Patron so much, start a competitor that's cheaper. It isn't like Patron holds a monolopoly over a piece of required proprietary software. Theotically anyone should be able to copy it.

People are bitching because they know they'll just have to suck it up and eat the fees.
Actually, no, at least according to my understandings. The creators aren't paying those fees, in fact, they're paying fewer fees now. What's happened is the fees got transferred to the patrons themselves. The threat this poses to the creators is that patrons may not like paying extra and will drop out as a result.

Interestingly, that means this could hurt Patreon itself. If fewer people are patrons, that means they're getting less money from them.

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:16 am

Jim '13k' Sterling red pills his audience about patreon.

https://youtu.be/14k1xxsduiA?t=10m15s
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:00 am

Just Some Random Guy wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:32 pm
Interestingly, that means this could hurt Patreon itself. If fewer people are patrons, that means they're getting less money from them.
Or they just up their pledge. They already made a retard decision, trust them to make another retard decision. It's a hipster company but I'm sure they know what they are doing.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Guest #2

Post by Guest #2 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:51 am

I didn't know where to put this but Cimemasins had a twitter breakdown

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:03 am

Mental health is an epicdemic? So... the crazy ones are good?
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:30 am

Guest #2 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:51 am
I didn't know where to put this but Cimemasins had a twitter breakdown
A whole two tweets, one being sarcastic and the other being direct telling people to stop demanding he talk about subjects he doesn't want to, isn't a breakdown.
"I currently have 274 pounds of lean mass. My nurse explained that since she'd just seen me walk a quarter mile that I basically was ripped underneath all of this fat." - Arnold Boogienigger