Folding Ideas

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about
Kim Justice

Re: Folding Ideas

Post by Kim Justice » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:06 am

Jim Sterling is probably a good one to keep tabs on, as his Patreon is only the single $1 "thank you" tier. According to Graphtreon he lost over 100 patrons yesterday. Remains to be seen how long the initial crash lasts.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:06 am

drisko wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:20 am
rabidtictac wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:06 am
This is going to probably fuck people more than they realise. How many subscriptions do you have that you keep forgetting to get rid of or barely notice? If you bring it to someone's attention, or force them to make an alteration to keep it going, they're more likely to let it lapse. And for a lot of these people, they probably have a significant chunk of fans who are only donating because they forgot to stop.
That's what I'm thinking too. Patreon isn't changing all that much. A hardcore fan is going to donate. They don't mind giving five dollars or giving $5.50. But it's all the people who forgot they were still being charged $2 every month towards some faggot videos they no longer care about. Those are the people who will say, "hey wait, I don't even watch this guy anymore. He's no longer a meme. I want off this ride."

Making patreon less attractive for paypigs will go a ways towards cutting off the drip-feed of free money. I wonder how many of Spoony's donators will suddenly realize they're still signed up.

I don't think content creators with active, engaged fanbases will experience much of an overall decline in revenue. Especially not if they have multiple revenue sources, which most do. This will hit the complacent assholes who rely on people forgetting to pledge or people who have underage fanbases that can't afford to pledge more.

BTW we've talked about it before, but this is why you want to cultivate an older audience instead of chasing the kiddie market.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:21 am

Chasing the kiddie market was lucrative before the youtube ad crash, because not only were you able to get the views with the ad revenue but you'd get noticed by more (hopeful) job having teenagers/adults.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Kim Justice

Post by Kim Justice » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:37 am

I frankly hope it hits those who use the service as little more than their monthly GoFundMe and contribute fuck all in return the most. That is not what Patreon is for, they usually all donate to each other anyways and they can all piss off tbh.