The Angry Video Game Cuck

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about
wildmage

Re: The Angry Video Game Cuck

Post by wildmage » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:41 pm

It's a hit and miss but it's a good friend simulator: comfy couch james and the 10 inch man.

I remember 10 or so years ago he made a retrospective of movie mosnters by decade for a halloween special. It was short (5-10 minutes per video), concise and well researched.

He knows his movies, it's just a shame that he has to be the nerd to pay his billths.

MrPopperBanks

Post by MrPopperBanks » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:54 pm

Back in those early days the Nerd character was something fresh when the term "interior crocodile-alligator" was just in its infancy. Now the gimmick feels dated, like when you see an outlandish personality on old public access videos. There was some novelty, but without a whole production team behind it, there's no real ride for the audience to go on. The camera and sound equipment may evolve, as do the sets, but the character itself is still stuck in the mold.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:02 pm

which is why i'm saying he needs to shed some of that! he needs to shed some of the 'character' of 'the nerd' and just be a guy making goofy internet videos mocking video games. while he just so happens to be wearing a white button up shirt.

i know for a fact it couldn't be worse than the crap he's putting out now. his production and editing is good. he still has a charisma. but the actual content of the words he's saying, when he's doing a 'bit', is fucking terrible. it's soulless and empty. it can't get any worse. the only possibility is that if changed up his creation process on these videos and tried to be more relaxed with that process, more spontaneous, the only possible outcome is an improvement.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:52 pm

It's the IN trap, dood! Gotta change my content to get more viewers, can't change my content because my hardcore fans want the same thing over and over...

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:14 pm

Guest wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:02 pm
which is why i'm saying he needs to shed some of that! he needs to shed some of the 'character' of 'the nerd' and just be a guy making goofy internet videos mocking video games. while he just so happens to be wearing a white button up shirt.
Isn't that what he does now? Dude can't make videos about modern games if he doesn't play them.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:44 am

Guest wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:14 pm
Isn't that what he does now? Dude can't make videos about modern games if he doesn't play them.
nah i'm not saying he needs to even get away from the retro crap. i'm just saying the process he uses to create the avgn videos leads to shitty unfunny videos. the parts where he talks about the background of the game or peripheral is ok. the scripted skits and jokes are not. avgn videos seem 100% scripted to me. he needs to get some footage of him just naturally reacting to the games, or something. get rid of the shitty skits. the whole thing of culkin pretending to be a pizza boy is a perfect example of what i'm talking about. it wasn't funny from the first second. when he pulls off the badge and it says his name on another badge under the pizza boy one, that was kind of almost funny. but that was the closest that bit got to being funny and it went on for like 10 minutes before they just dropped it and went on. there was no real setup for it, and no payoff. it really felt like something you'd see in a TGWTG video back in the day. a half cocked skit that isn't even necessary.

put on the damn shirt, and just do some goofy videos as the nerd, but don't do skits, and don't put some grandiose idea behind the nerd being some character in his own little world. he's reviewing and talking about nintendo games, which exist in this world. i really think he thinks of the nerd as having his own little world, just as he does with board james. and it's just fucking weird, man. like this is some world building shit. if you want to do actual movies, work towards that. don't taint your goofy internet videos with that dream, because it just fucking sucks. nintendo games aren't some weird fantasy world thing. it doesn't make sense. he's treating the nerd as if he's some protagonist in some twilight zone basement world of retro games. how gay is that when you think about it? the movie really drove this home. he shouldn't be treating the nerd as anything other than a white shirt he wears so he can do hyperbolic rants about old shit nobody cares about.

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:29 pm

I don't get it, is Culkin short of money or something? Why is he trying so hard to get back into the limelight? Is he counting on being in Home Alone 6(I would watch it btw, he's still got a fun screen presence)?
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:32 pm

He'll review Getting Even With Dad with the Nostalgia Critic within the month, calling it now.

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:32 pm

I really want Good Son 2 now. Reunite him and Elijah Wood and give him some crazy-looking scars.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

ChangeTheChunnel

Post by ChangeTheChunnel » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:37 pm

Rushy wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:32 pm
I really want Good Son 2 now. Reunite him and Elijah Wood and give him some crazy-looking scars.
That would be cool, except that...
SpoilerShow
... his character would have had to survive the fall from the cliff.

Unless they made it a paranormal/psychological horror with his ghost haunting a grownup Elijah Wood. That might be fun.
RedLine wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:05 am
Lupa is alone. She has no one. Fucking Spoony has a better social life than her and he's practically a chair.