The Angry Video Game Cuck

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about
Boogie's Panniculus

Re: The Angry Video Game Cuck

Post by Boogie's Panniculus » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:46 am

I didn't rent Earthbound back in the day because it looked very childish. Like it was aimed at very young children.

I saw Earthbound screenshots... I saw Final Fantasy III screenshots... there was no way I was getting the childish Earthbound game with it's bright colors and kid protagonist that fights with a baseball bat.

Pepsi Man

Post by Pepsi Man » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:52 am

Earthbound isn't even that good. It's Mystic Quest tier when it comes to RPG mechanics and gameplay. I did always like the twisted stuff that they tossed in there, though.

Never understood how it became such a cult classic.
Guest wrote:Poopy Man

Whybother

Post by Whybother » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:21 am

It became a cult classic purely because nobody played it 20-odd years ago, so it was one of those rare things that legitimately got rediscovered.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:59 am

Pepsi Man wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:52 am
Earthbound isn't even that good. It's Mystic Quest tier when it comes to RPG mechanics and gameplay. I did always like the twisted stuff that they tossed in there, though.

That rollover thing the healthbars had in EB and M3 was kinda cool. I think one of the gimmicks to M3's gaymeplay was you could mash A to smack enemies multiple times. Was alrite.

Pepsi Man

Post by Pepsi Man » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:04 am

Guest wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:59 am
Pepsi Man wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:52 am

That rollover thing the healthbars had in EB and M3 was kinda cool. I think one of the gimmicks to M3's gaymeplay was you could mash A to smack enemies multiple times. Was alrite.
Mother 3 is great. Earthbound is all around average in nearly every aspect with very few things about it that make me go, "oh neat."

The rollover health is neat but often times just serves to make the game easier (which is fitting given it wasn't meant to be hardcore or anything) and that serves to make the game less engaging. It's clearly meant to thrive on its quirks and the twisting of the world that you encounter and while I like those aspects of it the gameplay just doesn't do it for me and when I'm playing a game that I'm bored with the story sure isn't going to keep me going.
Guest wrote:Poopy Man

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:43 am

I loved earthbound, I remember renting it at my video store a lot and seeing the big box at the top because it was so big they couldn't put it anywhere else.

Regret being so young and not being able to buy it when they closed.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:22 am

Whybother wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:21 am
It became a cult classic purely because nobody played it 20-odd years ago, so it was one of those rare things that legitimately got rediscovered.
That and NES being in Smash Bros (and being overpowered in the N64 game, making him cool) got people curious to who the hell he is and what game he was from.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Osterzone

Post by Osterzone » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:27 am

I do think some of the hardcore fans of Earthbound take it too far, like sending Itoi a care package for making their favorite game and then going to Japan and filming an interview with their god to put in their gay little documentary. It really screams validation.

Duwango
Goon

Post by Duwango » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:46 am

The gameplay in Earthbound is just acceptable. I don't think most people are driven to play the game solely because of it's mechanics anyway. It's always first and foremost about the charm, and either way, I feel Earthbound has aged way better than any of the Pokemon games.
Osterzone wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:27 am
I do think some of the hardcore fans of Earthbound take it too far, like sending Itoi a care package for making their favorite game and then going to Japan and filming an interview with their god to put in their gay little documentary. It really screams validation.
In the years that followed the release of Mother 3's English translation, it was disturbingly common for fanfucks to go on homicidal screeds against anyone who dared to diss on their precious series and/or echochamber, even if it was just for shits and giggles. Suffice to say, it turned away quite a lot of normies (including myself) from even considering trying out the games for many years. I would suspect that the self-inflicted stigma from the fanbois is also the actual reason why Nintendo was seemingly aloof and indifferent towards the Mother series for for the longest time.

GestapoAssiman

Post by GestapoAssiman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:04 am

Mother 3 wasn't brought to the west probably because it got a lackluster reception in Japan. The fans of Mother 1 and 2 called it a flat out of piece of shit game over there.

But then again, has Nintendo ever cared about their fans tho.
- and that's a good thing.