Diversity & Comics - I need picz in mah bookz

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about
Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Re: Diversity & Comics - I need picz in mah bookz

Post by Poonoo » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:56 am

Tony Schiavone wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:54 pm
WWE isn't a good analogy. The ratings held pretty high through the early 2000s because you still gas some personalities and it wasn't overly corporatized. It went down since John Cena happened and Vince tried to make progressively dumber and more senile decisions (like let his daughter become creatively involved).
The ratings plummeted in 2001 with that alliance garbage and kept falling until 2005 when Cena and Batista became champions. It went up a bit until 2006 where it fell again and has kept falling since.

And Steph was involved back in 2002, when it truly went to shit. She was the one who thought it was a great idea to have a team of 10 or so Hollywood writers on the show. The corporatisation started all the way back then and has only gotten worse, and because of that they took no fucking risks creatively and do the same format of having the main Babyface or Heel cut a 10-20 minute promo at the start, Holla Holla tag team match main event Playa and some other crap in the middle.

This worked in 1998 because it meant Austin or The Rock were on TV from the get go and knowing they would be on later kept people watching. Also WCW tended to do cruiserweight matches first, so getting those initial eyeballs worked but now that shit is outdated. Just like modern capeshit comics.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:28 pm

Current wrestlers are just fucking boring. Everything is way too controlled. It was fun when they let Macho Man ramble about cream, Hogan about Yapapi strap matches and Warrior snorkel something incomprehensible. But for a very long time now it has been nothing but overly scripted trash with characterless dipshits.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Tony Schiavone

Post by Tony Schiavone » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:14 pm

Poonoo wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:56 am
wrasslin' stuff
That is a more accurate version than I remember--it's been a long time.
I remember, though, it still had a spark of something original (even when Vince was a Screaming Satan and Triple H was yammering on for 45 minutes.)
I think going public was the worst decision they made. Everything in the company became overmanaged and bureaucratized.
Steph was annoying back in the day, but I think after she pumped out her kids and went back to TV a second time it got worse. Just listening to her in media clips she sounds like a robot spouting off branding buzzwords.

I don't think capeshit is outdated so much as it's stale and unpleasant. Nobody tries stuff that actually is proven to work. We've had heroes "deconstructed" to death. Nobody cares about that stuff. It's more about the villians and conflicts. The stories are better when they're smaller and focused on the character's humanity.
Gender/race swapping of costumes doesn't work because we all know its temporary, like character death. Too many events are also like that, because they hand wave away everything at the end. Secret Wars was the reason behind Venom--something lingered.
Archangel is still around in his Apocalypse altered form. Hal Jordan going berserk was later explained why in a retcon. But he still did what he did, and people remember it.
Fear itself and Who Shot Oatu? could have been really good ideas. But all the Migard hammers just vanished away and ditto the villian. Just a random apocalypse, nothing new, yawn. Ditto the "secrets" that were supposed to upheaval the Universe--nothing special, nothing permanent.
...and still: Spoony did nothing.

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:12 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:28 pm
Current wrestlers are just fucking boring. Everything is way too controlled. It was fun when they let Macho Man ramble about cream, Hogan about Yapapi strap matches and Warrior snorkel something incomprehensible. But for a very long time now it has been nothing but overly scripted trash with characterless dipshits.
That's Vince. He's even anal about specific fucking words, even if it means the same thing he will lose his shit if you don't say something exactly as he intends it even if it sounds fake and forced. The entire writing staff need everything approved by him first, he is a control freak who doesn't let people do their own thing.

Imagine if the old fucks who owned movie studios controlled all the writing and oversaw everything rather than allowing them a lot of freedom and only caring if it makes money? You get Disney Star Wars with Kennedy in charge, imagine that for 20 years.
Old Black Man wrote:
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:59 pm

Poonoo wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:12 pm
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:28 pm
That's Vince. He's even anal about specific fucking words, even if it means the same thing he will lose his shit if you don't say something exactly as he intends it even if it sounds fake and forced. The entire writing staff need everything approved by him first, he is a control freak who doesn't let people do their own thing.
Reminds me of those Italian shitkinos like Troll 2 or Sonic 06 where some weird ESL fuckwit insists you don't correct his Engrish or give a not stilted performance.

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:48 am

Guest wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:59 pm
Reminds me of those Italian shitkinos like Troll 2 or Sonic 06 where some weird ESL fuckwit insists you don't correct his Engrish or give a not stilted performance.
Samurai Cop and The Room also had the "arrogant asshole ESL director" syndrome
お前はもう死んでいる。

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:18 am

Liar Revealed wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:48 am
Guest wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:59 pm
Samurai Cop and The Room also had the "arrogant asshole ESL director" syndrome
The Room is the perfect analogy for WWE's promos. Imagine that movie without Tommy in it and that is exactly how WWE promos feel, the dialogue is awkward and stilted as fuck to the point where they don't sound human.

At least with Tommy, English is not his first language. Vince McMahon is a third generation American.
Old Black Man wrote:

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:38 pm

D&C aka Ya Boi Zack aka Richard C. Meyer is working on an Expendables comic.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:58 pm

Last time he released something, SJWs got so butthurt they tried to bully comic book stores into not selling his stuff. This could be mildly interesting.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:13 pm

It's just a variant cover, from what I can tell
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.