General Speedrunning Thread

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about

Re: General Speedrunning Thread

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:09 am

On the bright side there might be no future at all so we won't have to worry.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:51 am

I raise my glass to that. Fuck the next generation! Let's make this the last stand.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:36 pm

Guest wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:11 pm
Remember when the Roman Empire fell and just a few years later the barbarians raged because they couldn't do simple shit like keep the water running? I feel like speedrunning and gender studies in general will lead to that for us. A future of soy boys and pink-haired dykes raging because they don't know how to turn the power back on.
The last humans on this Earth will die in an irradiated desert, debating about gender represenation until they just fall over and die.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:27 pm

You may say it like a joke, but I believe it. Some years ago, when I was still in college, my CompSci course had a couple of "Humanities" disciplines that I had to choose because the weren't elective. Fine, I picked one that had to do with environment and sustainability, because it was the most "sciency-looking" of the bunch offered.

Going to the classes, I was baffled how even the teacher was completely drowned in your typical "feel good" environmentalist kool-aid that didn't factor things like infrastructure and logistics. For example, the teacher was a huge adept of organic food, but didn't want to acknowledge that organic food is actually bad for the environment when you try to serve it to millions of people at once. I gave the example of organic milk: before ever consuming it, you need to boil it first. How do most people will boil milk? Well, by heating it on their stoves, of course. The thing is, the stove is a very inefficient heating device, since most of the heat generated is lost to the environment. Now imagine the amount of cooking gas needed to heat 1 million litters of milk each day, compared to the amount of energy that a milk processing factory spends to do the same. There's also increased "hidden" environmental costs of transporting all that milk, and the waste of spoiled milk before it gets properly boiled. In the end, she didn't even want to consider those costs, because it would be "too hard to calculate" (sigh).

If let to their own devices, these people will never look into these questions of infrastructure and logistics, and they will die drowned on their own feel-good bullshit. Economics dictate that the professions that deal with keeping this infrastructure running should end up being more valuable as less people want to engage the effort, but... I'm not sure this will be sufficient to save these fools.

DarkMenstrual

Post by DarkMenstrual » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:45 pm

Speedruns can be sort of interesting. It helps a lot if the runner is a normal functioning adult. Otherwise they are unwatchable. I'll never understand what the correlation is between speedrunning and trannies; it's kinda like Sonic and autism.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:15 pm

I suppose being weirdly obsessed about beating a game a second or two faster than anyone before you is just behind the border of madness.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:26 pm

DarkMenstrual wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:45 pm
I'll never understand what the correlation is between speedrunning and trannies
Mental illness.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:30 pm

Le Redditeur wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:27 pm
You may say it like a joke, but I believe it. Some years ago, when I was still in college, my CompSci course had a couple of "Humanities" disciplines that I had to choose because the weren't elective. Fine, I picked one that had to do with environment and sustainability, because it was the most "sciency-looking" of the bunch offered.

Going to the classes, I was baffled how even the teacher was completely drowned in your typical "feel good" environmentalist kool-aid that didn't factor things like infrastructure and logistics. For example, the teacher was a huge adept of organic food, but didn't want to acknowledge that organic food is actually bad for the environment when you try to serve it to millions of people at once. I gave the example of organic milk: before ever consuming it, you need to boil it first. How do most people will boil milk? Well, by heating it on their stoves, of course. The thing is, the stove is a very inefficient heating device, since most of the heat generated is lost to the environment. Now imagine the amount of cooking gas needed to heat 1 million litters of milk each day, compared to the amount of energy that a milk processing factory spends to do the same. There's also increased "hidden" environmental costs of transporting all that milk, and the waste of spoiled milk before it gets properly boiled. In the end, she didn't even want to consider those costs, because it would be "too hard to calculate" (sigh).

If let to their own devices, these people will never look into these questions of infrastructure and logistics, and they will die drowned on their own feel-good bullshit. Economics dictate that the professions that deal with keeping this infrastructure running should end up being more valuable as less people want to engage the effort, but... I'm not sure this will be sufficient to save these fools.
We need a thread about this. I'd recommend posting in RPG Codex's SJW thread but they got scared of Anita S. and hid it behind a log-in wall.

Some Sick Fuck
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Some Sick Fuck » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:42 pm

DarkMenstrual wrote:
Speedruns can be sort of interesting. It helps a lot if the runner is a normal functioning adult. Otherwise they are unwatchable. I'll never understand what the correlation is between speedrunning and trannies; it's kinda like Sonic and autism.
Really? How many functional adults are there? Not that I would know anything about speedrunners, but as far as I look at it, most of them must be crazy at least to some extent. Just because everybody isn't a ticking timebomb like Cosmo doesn't mean that they don't have massive issues.

To me, the whole concept reeks of insanity - you spend absurd amount of time (nobody becomes good in few hours, nobody) for a special sort of moment. That can be easily taken away from you, and requires massive amount of focus. Basically, you waste so much time on something that you can't even like to begin with (I've seen how these guys react to a failed speed runs, since they are aware of the lost time especially when it's going well.), and it's extremely demanding.

I suppose someone could make a claim that actual professional athletes do a similar thing, but there is a massive difference between doing a physical sport for starters, and athletes have many ways how to diversify and how to capitalize on their efforts and experience even if they don't happen to win any medals. What's a failed speed runner going to do with their "expertise"?

Blessed are the shitposters, for they will be called children of the Sperg.

DarkMenstrual

Post by DarkMenstrual » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:54 pm

Some Sick Fuck wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:42 pm
DarkMenstrual wrote:
Really? How many functional adults are there? Not that I would know anything about speedrunners, but as far as I look at it, most of them must be crazy at least to some extent. Just because everybody isn't a ticking timebomb like Cosmo doesn't mean that they don't have massive issues.

To me, the whole concept reeks of insanity - you spend absurd amount of time (nobody becomes good in few hours, nobody) for a special sort of moment. That can be easily taken away from you, and requires massive amount of focus. Basically, you waste so much time on something that you can't even like to begin with (I've seen how these guys react to a failed speed runs, since they are aware of the lost time especially when it's going well.), and it's extremely demanding.

I suppose someone could make a claim that actual professional athletes do a similar thing, but there is a massive difference between doing a physical sport for starters, and athletes have many ways how to diversify and how to capitalize on their efforts and experience even if they don't happen to win any medals. What's a failed speed runner going to do with their "expertise"?
IDK how many there are. I watched one for Half-Life 1 by some swedish guy called Coolkid. He seemed pretty normal and chill which made the run watchable. The foreign ones tend to be more well-adjusted people on average it seems.