Doge Walker and Channel Awesome

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about
Whybother

Re: Doge Walker and Channel Awesome

Post by Whybother » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:17 pm

Guest wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:12 pm
He doesn't seem to understand what fascism is. Joining the M.I is voluntary, and is supposed to give a person more rights because they put the group first. Hell, Rico's parents were millionaires and aren't citizens, so it's still possible to have some sort of life even without citizenship. The people are given the freedom to choose, that's not fascism.
You can make the argument that the Starship Troopers movie adaptation isn't about fascism... But in order to do so you would have to argue with Paul Verhoeven who has made it perfectly clear that he was making satirical statement about fascism. That was verhoeven's intent.

Also. It occurs to me there is absolutely no reason to watch Doge's paper thin "review " of Starship Troopers when you can watch RLM have a legitimate in depth discussion about the movie that they obviously understand far more clearly than Doge does.
Last edited by Whybother on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GestapoAssiman

Post by GestapoAssiman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Yeah, the director said it pretty loud and clear.
I don't really understand why people see all fascism as evil, though. Mosley for example had some good ideas.

The Starship Troopers anime isn't anything worth watching.
- and that's a good thing.

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:41 pm

Blasphemy! Grorious Nippon always produce the superior animu version of anything.

veris leta facies

Post by veris leta facies » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:08 pm
Just recently somebody subbed the 1988 anime adaptation of Starship Troopers. This one is supposed to be much more accurate to the book. It's stuck in legal hell and will never be on DVD or Blu-ray.
https://nyaa.si/view/1027048
I haven't heard about this before. Thanks for the link, I'll surely check that one out.
Guest wrote:
He doesn't seem to understand what fascism is. Joining the M.I is voluntary, and is supposed to give a person more rights because they put the group first. Hell, Rico's parents were millionaires and aren't citizens, so it's still possible to have some sort of life even without citizenship. The people are given the freedom to choose, that's not fascism.
That's the main reason why it fails as a satire, both military and society are very reasonable factions in ST, they needed to be much more over the top to really ridicule Heinlein's worldview. Intended as a satire, sure, but it won't remove the fact that the outcome is an extremely patriotic movie which glorifies militarism and war. But even liberals can admit enjoying it with a clean conscience since "it's just a satire." :D
When passing through the Valley of Humiliation, slaves and dastards, exposing their sores, sob aloud for consolation and sympathy.

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:29 pm

AssimanReturns wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:27 pm
Yeah, the director said it pretty loud and clear.
I don't really understand why people see all fascism as evil, though. Mosley for example had some good ideas.

The Starship Troopers anime isn't anything worth watching.
You've seen this old '80s one though? It's not the same thing as that shitty kids cartoon or those direct to DVD CGI anime made by Shinji Aramaki a few years back. (I never did see those.)
お前はもう死んでいる。

GestapoAssiman

Post by GestapoAssiman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:13 pm

The garbage I saw was made in the 80's or 90's and it was straight to video release.
- and that's a good thing.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:16 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:08 pm
Just recently somebody subbed the 1988 anime adaptation of Starship Troopers. This one is supposed to be much more accurate to the book. It's stuck in legal hell and will never be on DVD or Blu-ray.
https://nyaa.si/view/1027048
AFAIK that one has them use power armor from the start, the bugs have guns and have another humanoid race working for them. That is more accurate.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:55 pm

veris leta facies wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:54 pm
Guest wrote:
That's the main reason why it fails as a satire, both military and society are very reasonable factions in ST, they needed to be much more over the top to really ridicule Heinlein's worldview. Intended as a satire, sure, but it won't remove the fact that the outcome is an extremely patriotic movie which glorifies militarism and war. But even liberals can admit enjoying it with a clean conscience since "it's just a satire." :D
It's the same dumb talk like the people who go off about The Empire in 40k being evil space Nazis. Sounds plausible until you consider that it is a universe in which deities are undeniably real, the Emperor is a de facto god and any slight tolerance towards the other factions could easily lead to total extinction.
You can't come along and whine about le ebil fascist regime when the opposing force is xeno scum.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:37 pm

Tyranids are just poor refugees, man.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:10 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:37 pm
Tyranids are just poor refugees, man.
phpBB [video]
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!