Pat the NES Cunt

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about
ChangeTheChunnel

Re: Pat the NES Cunt

Post by ChangeTheChunnel » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:07 pm

And miss the jovial, intellectual discussions we provide?
RedLine wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:05 am
Lupa is alone. She has no one. Fucking Spoony has a better social life than her and he's practically a chair.

Credo in Deum

Post by Credo in Deum » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:41 pm

I would chime in on things but I have no nostalgia for NES games because I never played them. All he had to do is play the games again to not see everything through nostalgia glasses but that would be a bit much for 700+ games.

Most of those games belong into the thrash if you ask me, it's time to move on. What people actually should do is take good concepts out of NES games that have been overlooked and make a modern version out of these games or integrate them into their game.

I don't like the idea of having an entire private basement full of old shitty games. There should be a public place, kinda like a museum, that has all the games so people can work with that stuff (historical/creatively etc.). Especially so they learn to make games again without throwing millions of dollars around.

MegaNigger
Blackpill Merchant

Post by MegaNigger » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:50 pm

Credo in Deum wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:41 pm
I would chime in on things but I have no nostalgia for NES games because I never played them. All he had to do is play the games again to not see everything through nostalgia glasses but that would be a bit much for 700+ games.

Most of those games belong into the thrash if you ask me, it's time to move on. What people actually should do is take good concepts out of NES games that have been overlooked and make a modern version out of these games or integrate them into their game.

I don't like the idea of having an entire private basement full of old shitty games. There should be a public place, kinda like a museum, that has all the games so people can work with that stuff (historical/creatively etc.). Especially so they learn to make games again without throwing millions of dollars around.
I appreciate where you're coming from, but the gaming industry as it is right now is so polar opposite of that. Next crash is imminent when the normies stop throwing money at ""DLC"" that's really just there to finish the actual game you thought you paid for already.
-The user formerly known as CIANigger

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:53 am

CIANIgger wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:50 pm
Next crash is imminent when the normies stop throwing money at microtransactions.
FTFY, DLC isn't the main problem now, it's adding shit like lootboxes and other shit to games that they saw on mobile in order to scalp more money out of people, to the point where they design the whole fucking game around it.

And then there is shit like this.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:40 am

Fry 1000 chips!
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Tony Schiavone

Post by Tony Schiavone » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:20 pm

It's like any other thing with collectors. Why would anyone pay x amount of money for this thing? Beauty is in eye of the beholder, etc.

Except that unlike Barbies or jukeboxes or whatever else, you can just put the ROMs on emulation tools or devices and play them just the same. The value is in the game itself, not the cartridge. Having them on a shelf looks like you just collect tiny grey plastic with small hard to read labels. It's as boring as a collection of floppy disks--which is what the design was originally intended to emulate.

All the games that were fun enough to be classics are already ported and re-ported, and their mechanics copies and refined on. The rest are just too obscure/niche (like Romance of the Three Kingdoms) or terrible enough that no one cares.

Do I have a small collection? Yeah. These are just what I've had over the years (presents, etc.) and what I've enjoyed enough to purchase. Their value will probably inevitably go up over time, but nothing I can retire on.
...and still: Spoony did nothing.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Tony Schiavone wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:20 pm
All the games that were fun enough to be classics are already ported and re-ported, and their mechanics copies and refined on. The rest are just too obscure/niche (like Romance of the Three Kingdoms) or terrible enough that no one cares
Not entirely true. A lot of games don't get ported because of rights issues. The reason the original GoldenEye never appeared on the Virtual Console or Xbox Live Arcade was because there were rights problems between Nintendo, Rare and whoever owns the Bond licence now (I want to say Activision)
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Guru Larry
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Guru Larry » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:21 pm

No one owns the Bond license ATM, Activision rushed out 007 Legends so they could squeeze a few more sheckles out of the license before they lost it. Hence why there's only 5000 copies of the Wii U version in existence.

The rights problems were entirely with Nintendo Japan, Microsoft and Nintendo of America had a deal for MS to get the rights to GoldenEye and Nintendo got licensing rights to all Rare N64 games, but Nintendo Japan stepped in ans said "why should we help out the competition?" and vetoed the entire deal.

But a good 70% of the NES library is unplayable trash by today's standards, the SNES had far greater quality control.

And as for re-releasing games, most games released in the 80s and 90s were Movie/TV/Sports/Celebrity licenses, and re-licensing most would be far too expensive from what profits they'd earn.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:27 pm

I just want a proper release of the arcade version of Street Fighter: The Movie, not that chintzy reskin of SF 2 Turbo they gave us on the home systems.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:10 am

Tony Schiavone wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:20 pm
Except that unlike Barbies or jukeboxes or whatever else, you can just put the ROMs on emulation tools or devices and play them just the same. The value is in the game itself, not the cartridge. Having them on a shelf looks like you just collect tiny grey plastic with small hard to read labels. It's as boring as a collection of floppy disks--which is what the design was originally intended to emulate.
I disagree partially. For one, it doesn't matter what something is actually worth if we're talking about collecting.
Granted, the only things I've ever collected are nGage games and pipes. The former aren't worth a lot and often not worth playing, the latter are all unique pieces. But you can well collect something no matter whatever it is actually worth.

For another, the games aren't the value. The games just themselves have zero value, as you pointed out by saying that you can just download them. The physical copies themselves are the collectable. And it's as good of an item to collect as another. All collecting is fundamentally silly and pointless.
That said, I don't get collecting the raw cartridges. Talk about low standards. When I got my copy of KoF 98 I went through great lengths to get a very nice Japanese version because they have the best boxart and manuals. Why would somebody settle for a naked cartridge any faggot can pick up at a flea market for a buck? That's not what collecting is about, normally.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!