Pat the NES Cunt

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about

Re: Pat the NES Cunt

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:35 am

Unless he directly used their content or copied word-for-word from their website there's nothing to sue over. You can talk about a company's products as much as you like.

Reporting him to nintendo will do nothing or get you a DSP situation where so many false reports make the fucker bulletproof.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:28 am

oldbones wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:08 am
But Pat didn't and he's a piece of shit. I hope Nintendo goes after him just like they do with all those fan games. Oh if that fucker had to return all the profits made from hid shit fuck book it would be so perfect.
The fact that you don't like him and he's a cunt doesn't mean he's done anything actionable. Fair use would cover most of this shit.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

oldbones

Post by oldbones » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:28 am
oldbones wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:08 am
But Pat didn't and he's a piece of shit. I hope Nintendo goes after him just like they do with all those fan games. Oh if that fucker had to return all the profits made from hid shit fuck book it would be so perfect.
The fact that you don't like him and he's a cunt doesn't mean he's done anything actionable. Fair use would cover most of this shit.
Fair use doesn't cover using a companies logo in a for profit product (without their approval and as I posted Nintendo doesn't ever give permission to anyone). He used a copyrighted official nintendo logo on the cover of his book. Not even just as an aside but as the word "nintendo" in the title. That is blatant copyright infringement no matter what companies logo was used. Nintendo loves to go after any and every infringement especially when it's something that someone made money from. So yes he should and hopefully will get a letter soon from NIntendo.

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:17 pm

Ehh... maybe a cease and desist. Unless the cover implies it's an official Nintendo book, theres no real damages to sue over.

oldbones

Post by oldbones » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:27 pm

Guest wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:17 pm
Ehh... maybe a cease and desist. Unless the cover implies it's an official Nintendo book, theres no real damages to sue over.
We've seen them send mostly C&Ds because most of those were games that were either released for free or not finished. You better believe if anyone was selling a game with nintendo material in it they would be sued. The cover does imply it's an official book because it uses the nintendo logo in the title and nowhere does it say "unofficial." Even if it did I think Nintendo would still have grounds to go after the book for use of their logo. And now that I see his SNES book has basically the same cover style with the same logo hijacking I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't go after him.

Credo in Deum

Post by Credo in Deum » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

It's a trademark not a copyright infringement. Does he not know what the R symbol means?

The weird thing is in the video he reads it as "Ultimate Nintendo - Guide to the NES Library". You would think it would go something like this "Ultimate Guide to the NES Library" and get the Nintendo logo out of there.

I'm not a lawyer though, maybe I'm missing something.

da PAC Nigguh
Supreme Shitposter

Post by da PAC Nigguh » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:18 am

Didn't James have to change his name from Angry Nintendo Nerd back in the day?
Is Spoony dead yet?

oldbones

Post by oldbones » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:42 am

Credo in Deum wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm
It's a trademark not a copyright infringement. Does he not know what the R symbol means?

The weird thing is in the video he reads it as "Ultimate Nintendo - Guide to the NES Library". You would think it would go something like this "Ultimate Guide to the NES Library" and get the Nintendo logo out of there.

I'm not a lawyer though, maybe I'm missing something.
Many logos fall under both trademark and copyright protection. And as for the title of his book he obviously used Nintendo and their logo in the name for a purpose: It has value. Name and visual value. Pat used that to help sell his book. It's why he's using the same tactic with the snes book.

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:45 am

There has to be some sort of legal grey area though because he's not the only one doing it.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:14 am

Lots of people use Nintendo's logos. If Nintendo ever called him on it, or did more than issue a C&D, all he'd have to do is go to court and say 'Look, these people used your logos. You didn't sue them'.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.