Movieblob

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about
Oengae

Re: Movieblob

Post by Oengae » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:47 pm

Dominoes was doing a promotion that gave a discount on the next order if you did carryout instead of delivery and Little Caesars has a pizza locker you pickup your order instead of going to the front counter. Imagining other places are quietly phasing out delivery drivers.

If it wasn't for the fact the CEO was blaming California increasing minimum wage on removing drivers, doubt Blobby would say anything.

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:38 pm

Let's also mention that Pizza Hut is one of the worst pizza chains. It's garbage cardboard pizza. Pizza Hut customers like it because it's cheap. They're not the kind of people who care about how cool the CEO is. In fact, they won't even notice that Pizza Hut laid off their drivers.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:17 pm

Oengae wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:47 pm
Imagining other places are quietly phasing out delivery drivers.
The law of capitalism demands that they eventually outsource anything that can be outsourced. And why bother with your own delivery infrastructure in the same Current Year that has your Door Dashes and Uber Eats?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
Terminal Shitposter

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:09 am

CuckTurdginson wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:06 am
Unrelated, laying off delivery drivers seems like a dumb move - as far as service industry goes, that side of it is going to grow substantially in the next few years. Where I am in particular is struggling very much so to hire delivery drivers.
A side of the business that only costs you.
McDonald's doesn't deliver. At all. You see them going broke? Fat fuckers are going to get into the car and make the trip.

Yeah, there's Door Dash and such. Again, not a single delivery service has ever turned a profit. Not one!

It's not a growing business. It's luxury shit held up by delusional investors that will eventually just vanish.
In the 90s, every gas station here was 24 hours open. Today, there's a single one that's a truck stop open 24 hours, out of a cool 10 here.
Yeah, it's very inconvenient if you're driving through the state at 0200 and you're on reserve, trying to find an open gas station.
But it's also not profitable for any company, so it just goes away.

Just like bagging groceries is going to disappear in the USA or gas station attendees are as well. Demand means nothing if it isn't profitable.
SpoilerShow
Psalm 137:9

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:48 am

Gas station attendees are a matter of law, so they can't be removed from my state without changing the law. Because my state is retarded. But most gas stations do not have people who pump gas for you, because it's a waste of the station's money.

We have so much trucking business here in America, Kugel, that 24-hour, all-hour etc truck stops along the main routes are well profitable. I mean, the trucking lanes never stop moving here. If you're open all day on a major shipping lane then you're going to be busy all day.

There will always be lazy fucks like DSP who would pay 2-3x the cost of the food just to have it delivered. REEEEminder that long before doordash, dsp was doing the exact same shit with the pizza places and takeout. I don't know how doordash isn't making money, considering how much they mark up just in fees.

McDicks has drive-thru, which definitely offers a lazy alternative. Some places will do doordash that don't have drive-thru, however. If delivery drivers aren't profitable then I wonder why a) it costs so much to have shit delivered and b) why they can't translate that into profit? The only expense doordash DRIVERS have is time and gas. Doordash the COMPANY has basically no expenses except for the shitty app (edit okay okay, they have to pay taxes and hire lawyers too). Since doordash doesn't actually have "employees" and doesn't do any work or generate any product themselves.

I did a quick scan of why people are saying Doordash isn't profitable and it sounds like DD is deliberately reporting losses and operating their business in a way that maximizes expenses, spending billions to acquire smaller delivery services so they can grow explosively and maintain market share vs Grubhub and Uber Eats. This doesn't sound to me like a business that is trying for maximum profitability. It sounds to me like their immediate goals are growth and obtaining a stranglehold over the market. Once they've done that, they'll probably be an extremely profitable company, since they'll follow the pattern of other monopoly companies in the US and crank the shit out of their prices (in conjunction with their few remaining competitors.) Phone and cable companies do this, and so do the food companies and everyone else. Once they achieve that dominant piece of the market.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:01 pm

I think that food delivery apps are here to stay. In urban areas, at least, there's a rise in people not owning cars. I have two co-workers who don't drive. Teenagers today don't care about getting their license. It's going to be a different world in ten years in terms of how people get around and consoom. Delivery companies right now are building their brand so that they can be the Amazon (which also wasn't profitable for a long time) of food delivery in the forthcoming sea change. Or at least they'll get bought for billions of dollars by one of their competitors.

Kugelfisch
Terminal Shitposter

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:42 pm

Yes, they are absolutely just trying to grow to become the Amazon of food delivery.
Doesn't change the fact that they are arbitrarily propped up by investors. The point you're missing is that even with the high markups they couldn't sustain themselves.

Meaning, if any of them wins out in this war, the charges will rise substantially. Eventually, investors want their fucking payout and that means profitability.

Besides, no matter how you slice the pizza, the fact remains that if you need to cut costs, cutting down on delivery drivers and liquidating part of the car pool is the quickest and easiest way.
SpoilerShow
Psalm 137:9

Oengae

Post by Oengae » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:12 pm

Basically every startup app company in the past 20 years. Some of them do eventually become profitable but a lot of them don't. Which was fine when interest rates were low and VC money was plentiful, but all the layoffs last year, the increased interest rates, and the Silicon Valley Bank collapse, I can see a lot of these companies self-destructing as they try to get short term profit from an idea that was never going to be profitable in the first place.

BloodKnightDollfie

Post by BloodKnightDollfie » Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:12 am

Why even expect altruism from a fucking pizza company in the first place?
"^NOT A KIGURUMI!" - DHI

CuckTurdginson

Post by CuckTurdginson » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:19 pm

Blob fat
ebin namefag wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:06 am
I don't know when they divorced I just know that it's Brad's fault.