Movieblob

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about
Oengae

Re: Movieblob

Post by Oengae » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:01 pm

BenComicGraphics wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:01 pm
The directors that walked away from Marvel due to their heavy handed micromanaging and insistence on crossover clues and member berries thrown in is legendary.

Edgar Wright, Patty Jenkins, and Jon Favreau are only three of the more known examples. The Russo brothers 'supposedly' have free reign only because they are proxies of Feige's will.

James Gunn was given free reign because no one gave a fuck about Guardians of the Galaxy. First movie was, well, it was entertaining, I'll give it that. The second movie was literally "Here's more of the first film". When Marvel saw the 'space' Marvel stuff can be weird and colorful and shit, they 'hired' Taika Waititi and pretty much told him "Do James Gunn".
Blob's Beetus Brain can't seem to remember that once the MCU became a thing, Marvel's plan was always to hire some indie director with some mild success under their belt, then give them no creative control whatsoever because even the slightest deviation from formula would derail all their plans for Endgame.

And formula was basically imitating Joss Whedon self-aware snarkiness until GotG and then it was imitate GotG's classic rock in the soundtrack and undercutting any serious or tense scene with a quip.

BenComicGraphics

Post by BenComicGraphics » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:18 pm

Oengae wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:01 pm
BenComicGraphics wrote:
The directors that walked away from Marvel due to their heavy handed micromanaging and insistence on crossover clues and member berries thrown in is legendary.

Edgar Wright, Patty Jenkins, and Jon Favreau are only three of the more known examples. The Russo brothers 'supposedly' have free reign only because they are proxies of Feige's will.

James Gunn was given free reign because no one gave a fuck about Guardians of the Galaxy. First movie was, well, it was entertaining, I'll give it that. The second movie was literally "Here's more of the first film". When Marvel saw the 'space' Marvel stuff can be weird and colorful and shit, they 'hired' Taika Waititi and pretty much told him "Do James Gunn".
Blob's Beetus Brain can't seem to remember that once the MCU became a thing, Marvel's plan was always to hire some indie director with some mild success under their belt, then give them no creative control whatsoever because even the slightest deviation from formula would derail all their plans for Endgame.

And formula was basically imitating Joss Whedon self-aware snarkiness until GotG and then it was imitate GotG's classic rock in the soundtrack and undercutting any serious or tense scene with a quip.
Just ask, how many of the phase 1 directors returned after phase 1? Joe Johnston didn't return, and he was a veteran director that did(IMHO) the best of the standalone phase 1 films. But, his tone and visual style was most decidedly not Whedon-esque. Kenneth Branagh, veteran of the industry but with a medicre career did Thor, and that was probably because no one wanted to touch a movie about a norse god as a marvel superhero.

Shane Black, another older director, also never returned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_M ... erse_films

Look at the list of directors. The only ones that returned are either, as you said, young hip indie guys that are easily malleable, the Russos, or Whedon for Avengers 2. All the good, solid names from the previous decades never came back, like Johnson and Black.

Salmonella

Post by Salmonella » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:18 pm

The creative process is why I've always prefered DC movies to Marvel ones. They may not always land, but they're at the least usually interesting. Their original plan of hiring great creative directors and just letting them do their thing is the way it should be, but that was temporarily fucked up by Batman vs. Superman's reaction. All of the strong creative types have either quit Marvel or won't work with them period because they're so restrictive.

I guess I really can't blame them since even the most bland shit like Ant-Man will get jerked off by MAAAAHHHVEL nerds like Blob and make a gorillion dollars.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:05 pm

It's not a coincidence that all the Avengers movies are helmed by mediocre tv directors, and all Marvel movies after 2008 look and sound exactly the same. Faggy is a frustrated director who gets off pushing the talent around (and dicking Natalie and Brie, probably Gemma Chan too.)

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:55 pm

I was actually quite surprised when I heard Sam Raimi is going to direct Doctor Strange 2. I thought 'Nigga if you thought the execs were bad on Spider-Man 3...'

BenComicGraphics

Post by BenComicGraphics » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:01 pm

Guest wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:55 pm
I was actually quite surprised when I heard Sam Raimi is going to direct Doctor Strange 2. I thought 'Nigga if you thought the execs were bad on Spider-Man 3...'
Raimi is a Ditko fanboy.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:39 pm

Guest wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:55 pm
FilmRobert probably got a lesbian boner over the return of muh precious Raimi.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:09 am
I think the current trend is to replace "Race" with the less problematic "Ancestry". Even Shadow of the Demon Lord does it, and that game is 10 times more based than D&D will ever be again.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:40 pm

BenComicGraphics wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:01 pm
Raimi is a Ditko fanboy.
My point. Raimi disowns Spider-Man 3. He said that the execs micromanaged him at every turn and he's not proud of the film. He didn't want to put Venom in, that was their idea. Raimi is, like you said, very much a Ditko/Romita fanboy and wanted to use Silver Age Ditko/Romita Spider-Man villains.

Why he'd do Doctor Strange when Disney/Marvel micromanage worse than Sony did on Spider-Man 3 knocks me for a loop. He's basically going to make Disney's film for them and based on the title, it's probably going to be yet another woke rendition of HP Lovecraft than anything to do with Doctor Strange or Ditko

There's a reason directors with pedigree don't work on Marvel films

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:45 pm

Salmonella wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:32 pm
This reminds me of how dumb it is in the Fallout games that they present super mutants and ghouls as sentient beings who just have deformities and you should feel bad about killing them because of muh racism, but 99% of the time they attack you on sight without provocation.
Fallout has always been a shit version of Wasteland in terms of lore.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:59 pm

BenComicGraphics wrote:
Dehbashi wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:52 pm
BenComicGraphics wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:11 pm
As for Feige and Marvel, keep in mind their micromanaging and controlling nature clashed with jon favreau, the guy that MADE the MCU happen. Like, literally, if it wasn't for Favreau, Marvel wouldn't have movie franchises, Iron Man would've been a singular franchise like the Ang Lee Hulk and there'd have been no Phase whatever.
Exactly. I forgot about Favreau as well. Movie Blob is an idiot who thought Feige delegated while it was the opposite.

Not just directors, but actors. Edward Norton walked away after The Incredible Hulk. Mickey Rourke ragequit them after Iron Man 2. Both cited not being allowed to stretch into the role and give their own input (iirc). Creative people don't like working for Mahvul. It really is an assembly line that churns out garbage to very specific standards of nerdshittery. The mahvul execs want to make every movie the same, just like a McDonald's menu. They're catering to people like Blob who have shit taste but don't realize it, and who want every movie they watch to be the same thing. The actors who stay with mahvul are those who value money over craft. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that armies of soyboys fall over themselves to heap praise on the mediocre shit Mahvul churns out.

I keep pointing it out, but Mahvul capeshit is just this generation's Bayformers. Movieblob hated bayformers but he loves mahvul capeshit for some reason. :roll:
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome