Supreme Shitposter

Re: TFS got copyright struck again

Post by Le Redditeur » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:00 am

Just Some Random Guy wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:25 am
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:53 pm
360 noscope and desist letter.

But I agree that these fucks are too small-time to bother with. That's why they deal with shit like automated strikes rather than letters from lawyers. Companies have to defend their IP somehow, otherwise yeah, they will outright lose them. Their logos and characters will be ruled public and they won't be able to do shit about some fuck selling their IP on the streets.
Can companies lose copyright? I know that trademark is a major case of use it or lose it, but I thought it was really hard to lose copyright.
You're right, it's their trademark they have to defend, or else they lose it. I think copyright strikes are a way of doing that, isn't it? Where's Barry Zuckercorn when you need a good lawyer?

GodsGift

Post by GodsGift » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:07 am

Le Redditeur wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:00 am
You're right, it's their trademark they have to defend, or else they lose it. I think copyright strikes are a way of doing that, isn't it? Where's Barry Zuckercorn when you need a good lawyer?
There is a separate form for trademark complaints so it shouldn't be a copyright strike if they're trying to protect the trademark. Then again they might treat it the same and make the separate form unnecessary I don't know how they do shit. And yeah unless you actually give it a way or die you can't lose your copyright.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:58 am

You can lose the ability to enforce your copyright/trademark in certain situations if you don't pursue cases when you have legal standing. If the judge sees you've been negligent in protecting your IP from being infringed, they can decide you just don't care and the person infringing you had every reason to expect your trademark/IP was "in the public eye" or something like that. I forget exactly what it was I heard.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

GodsGift

Post by GodsGift » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:51 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:58 am
You can lose the ability to enforce your copyright/trademark in certain situations if you don't pursue cases when you have legal standing. If the judge sees you've been negligent in protecting your IP from being infringed, they can decide you just don't care and the person infringing you had every reason to expect your trademark/IP was "in the public eye" or something like that. I forget exactly what it was I heard.
Unless everything I know is outdated copyrights don't work like that, previously not enforcing can effect how much you can get through damages but until it expires or you choose to give it up you can't lose it.The public eye thing doesn't appy cause it's theirs the public can go fuck itself they don't own shit.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:58 pm

The only time you actually lose a trademark is if you don't bother to renew it. That's pretty much it.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Just Some Random Guy

Post by Just Some Random Guy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:24 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:58 am
I believe that's only for trademarks. Trademark is something you have to protect because the whole point of a trademark is that it differentiates your brand and makes it easier for the consumer to tell your company made it (or in the case of a product name that's trademarked, that it's from that product line). So companies will very much go after anyone who has a trademark that looks too much like their own because that can create brand confusion. If you don't protect your trademark, then it can get diluted and not protect you as much. Did you know that at one point, "thermos" was a trademarked term? That doesn't work anymore because it got so diluted, and losing the trademark due to it becoming that generic is the extreme end of what can happen if you don't protect it.

Copyright, on the other hand, just lasts for life and then something like 75 years. As is my understanding, you're free to turn a blind eye for however long you want to infringement and then all of a sudden wake up and say "I don't like these people infringing on my copyright anymore. I'm going to stop it." It can potentially make you not win as many damages if you sue them but you still can stop them.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:30 pm

Where the fuck is Lolki our legalfag?
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:25 am

No idea, but random guy sounds more right than I. But aren't dragon balls and vegeta considered trademarks or some shit? Like, it should be illegal for TFS to sell t-shirts with the dragon ball z "images" on them. For a while anyway, the dragon balls themselves were part of the title art for the "Dragon Ball Z" mangas, and the anime as well IIRC.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:21 am

Just Some Random Guy wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:24 pm
I believe that's only for trademarks. Trademark is something you have to protect because the whole point of a trademark is that it differentiates your brand and makes it easier for the consumer to tell your company made it (or in the case of a product name that's trademarked, that it's from that product line). So companies will very much go after anyone who has a trademark that looks too much like their own because that can create brand confusion. If you don't protect your trademark, then it can get diluted and not protect you as much. Did you know that at one point, "thermos" was a trademarked term? That doesn't work anymore because it got so diluted, and losing the trademark due to it becoming that generic is the extreme end of what can happen if you don't protect it.
I think something similar to the thermos part happened to Games Workshop when they tried to to sue people for using the term "Space Marines" - never mind the fact that the term was used way before 40k and that the Space Marines aren't even called that in the fluff.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette