Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about
wulfenlord

Re: Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw

Post by wulfenlord » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:56 pm

How many Mashables?
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl muh'fugen bix nood

Whenever you feel down :3
SpoilerShow

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:43 pm

wulfenlord wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:56 pm
How many Mashables?
Does it take to murder your career? Apparently just one.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:46 pm

It can only go downards after a Mashable award.
For getting one means you have already reached the peak of excellency.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:50 pm

Especially in the "best entertainer" category. That's like ten Oscars and Emmies rolled into one.
They say one should quit when it's best.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Oengae

Post by Oengae » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:06 pm

So all the Escapist staff went the CollegeHumor/Dropout TV route and made a channel called Second Wind funded by paymetons. I'm sure Blob is refreshing his twitter DMs and blaming "Elmo" that he hasn't gotten his invite yet.

Osterzone

Post by Osterzone » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:48 am

From yellow to red, and using his old blog series title, same old Yahtzee

Just Some Random Guy

Post by Just Some Random Guy » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:30 am

McGinnis wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:22 am
Just Some Random Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:49 am
If everyone quits, they Gamurs still has the channel and the Patreon for income. I wasn't sure if Gamurs was getting money from the Patreon, but I think they are because it's still up. Now, with people not making videos or anything, it's true you'll get way fewer views and ad revenue if you're not bringing out new stuff, but you'll still get some views, and as we saw with Spoony, Patreons take a very, very long time to decline, even if you're literally doing nothing.
All the patrons gave The Escapist money to fund Zero Punctuation. The guy who makes Zero Punctuation just quit. Therefore they have no reason to keep giving The Escapist money, especially after Yahtzee's totally-not-Zero-Punctuation goes live with its own Patreon.

It's not 1:1 with Spoony because a lot of those people, even though Spoony did nothing, still gave him money out of goodwill. There's no goodwill with The Escapist, they have no content and they've pissed off their main attraction
My comment wasn't about people deliberately wanting to sponsor the Escapist even if Yahtzee's not on it. As you indicate, people won't. I was more talking about the people who simply never unsubscribe because they forget to, and that's why Patreons take so long to decrease. The thing about an auto-renewing subscription service is that a lot of people will completely forget to unsubscribe if they stop using that service, so their credit card just keeps getting charged month after month. So even with Yahtzee gone and no Zero Punctuation coming, a reasonable percentage of the patrons are going to stay on not because they want to show support, but because they've forgotten they even are giving support.

Looking at the Graphtreon history for The Escapist, I do see a noticeable decrease in patrons. It was at 1,949 on November 12, then there's a noticeable decline afterwards and it presently stands at 1,664. A big decrease. But they still have 1,664 (so a minimum of $1,664/month). No doubt we'll see further drops as more people realize what's going on, but in the meantime those people are still forking over their cash to The Escapist, and you'll still have people who are just going to be perpetually charged until their credit card itself gets deactivated. All of that is basically free money to the Escapist.

McGinnis

Post by McGinnis » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:13 pm

Yeah I guess all that makes sense

I'm just disappointed The Escapist haven't come up with their own poor man's replacement for Yahtzee on Zero Punctuation. Like, when Snoop Dogg quit Death Row Records in the late '90s, Suge Knight signed a guy called Top Dogg, who was a sound-alike.

I want to see who The Escapist's Top Dogg is gonna be

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:24 pm

McGinnis wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:13 pm
I want to see who The Escapist's Top Dogg is gonna be
Behold:
SpoilerShow

I will keep this meme going because I know it'll happen.
Even if I don't know when and why.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

McGinnis

Post by McGinnis » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:26 pm

I mean, I guess. But I want to see The Escapist find some random British guy to do ZP in the exact tone as Yahtzee.

Sad part is that Gaymurs clearly don't care enough about the property to even attempt something that autistic, whereas it was deeply personal in the Snoop Dogg/Top Dogg example I cited