The Co-Optional Bitchfest

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: The Co-Optional Bitchfest

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:27 pm

I'm tellinyg ya, Linguists are where our real mad scientists are hiding.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:51 am

And that's the reason why the Kingdom of Bohemia never cared to speak German even when everybody else in the Holy Roman Empire did.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:35 am

The official language of that was Latin. The German back then was early Mittelhochdeutsch and more different from current German than ye olde English is from current nigger speak.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Credo in Deum

Post by Credo in Deum » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:30 am

Some Sick Fuck wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:29 am
Well it's not like germans don't have a lot of extremely overcomplicated words :P These might be "exact" terms for things, but it often does look ridiculous. More importantly, I don't believe that's a real name, I refuse to believe there is a language that ridiculous.

And yeah, that weight thing was of course intentional.
Slavic always sounded like a bunch of gibberish to me :P I have a feeling voiceofreason isn't native German :lol:

But yeah it is true if you translate a text from English into German you have a higher word count.
SpoilerShow

I had Latin in school but I forget everything.

What would be cool is if the German language could spread like English. Sadly that dream ever coming through was destroyed because that idiot went all the way instead of just having colonies :lol:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:14 am

German didn't catch on because it's basically a more obtuse English with more rules and exceptions. A real gaymur would say that English is more "streamlined" and "accessible".

What I'm certainly not making up is weird gendershit in German. It's bad enough that our articles give everything a gender that may or may not make sense (our chairs are masculine, for example, while girls are things), but basically every occupation we have comes with a female and male form. So we don't just have a "student", but "Schüler / Schülerin" and "Student / Studentin" (depending on whether we're talking about a school or university).
So to be extra politically-correct when writing down some rules, documents and other formal stuff, we usually write that shit down as "Student/-in" or "StudentIn", and some leftists actually try to come with with rules as to how to pronounce that shit which keeps breaking up the text flow.

Of course, some companies don't give a shit and just use the (masculine) default of say "customer" if you're just talking about any arbitrary customer and don't care what he or she has between its crotch. We actually have at least some feminazi getting triggered because her health insurance doesn't respect her naughty bits.
Credo in Deum wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:30 am
Slavic always sounded like a bunch of gibberish to me :P I have a feeling voiceofreason isn't native German :lol:
Nein nein nein! I am ze German alright. Kan't you tell by my eggsent?!

Tbh, I probably watched too many clips of shady call-in TV channels scamming people with simple questions that have the most convoluted and obscure answer they could legally get away with.

(And the real gibberish language for me is what the natives in Wales speak (Walish?). I mean, you've probably seen pictures of this one train station whose name has like 30+ letters, with nary a vowel among them. I betcha that's where Lovecraft got his inspirations.)
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

jpakke

Post by jpakke » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:58 am

Pfft, german...english...here's the true monocled language:

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:06 pm

fugg :DDD

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:18 pm

Now that's efficiency.
-Yours Truly

Credo in Deum

Post by Credo in Deum » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:19 pm

Some Sick Fuck
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Some Sick Fuck » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:59 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:16 pm
tl;dr: Voice is talking bullshit as usual.
Figured that much :lol: Yeah, to an unsuspecting eye it might look like germany has much longer words in general, but as you've said, it's just because you guys put them together.
Credo in Deum wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:30 am
What would be cool is if the German language could spread like English. Sadly that dream ever coming through was destroyed because that idiot went all the way instead of just having colonies :lol:
At one point, around 19 century (I believe, my historical knowledge of my own country is abysmal unless I look it up) German language was actually very popular in Bohemia (before Czech republic), I believe because nobility liked it a lot, so it was spreading across our country like a plague, but eventually it was stopped Czech National Revival, which was a cultural movement that eventually pushed the Helmuts back.

And of course, after the second world war, german language was very unpopular for quite a while. Which is funny, because my parents had to learn russian in schools and I would rather learn any other language before that fucking garbage. Not all slavs are equal. Consider russians the bottom feeders of the chain.

Blessed are the shitposters, for they will be called children of the Sperg.