The Other people on Channel Awesome

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about
Just Some Random Guy

Re: The Other people on Channel Awesome

Post by Just Some Random Guy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:17 am

wildmage wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:45 am
I'm already seeing in my town ads for tattoo removal clinics. Boy, do I love some delicious shadenfreude.

In any case, I oly lasted in the video until she said she had a contract for a 3 book series. I closed the video in disgust. But for anyone who made it until the end, can anyone confirm that this http://falstaffbooks.com/ is a vanity pùblishing company?
Well, what a "vanity publishing company" is depends on your definition. Some people will label any self-publishing or "print on demand" company as such, whereas others say it's only those companies that are actually scummy in their practices. However, even if we keep it as simply self-publishing, I don't think it qualifies. Key traits of self publishers are that they charge you to print the book whereas traditional publishers handle all that themselves. But look at the submission guidelines for this publisher:
http://falstaffbooks.com/submissions/

They don't want you to submit the full book initially, they just want the first few chapters and then, if they think it might be something that could sell, will look at the whole thing. This kind of screening is what you see in traditional publishing. The author paying the company to publish the book is a key trait of self publishing, but there is no mention whatsoever of costs on the author's part.

It seems to be a relatively small printing company, but the signs point strongly against it being a vanity publishing company.

sanicvr00m

Post by sanicvr00m » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:06 am

Just Some Random Guy wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:17 am
It seems to be a relatively small printing company, but the signs point strongly against it being a vanity publishing company.
It's not. It's one of these dime-a-dozen "indie publishers." It's worse.

These days, you're MUCH better off going full solo and shilling the shit out of your own book. Just poke around this company's recent release page to see how well their titles are selling. The three I clicked on were all well under the 100k rank which means they're only moving a few copies a week at most.

Falstaff will take the lion's share of those meager profits and the author gets a pile of pennies in royalties every month. It works out for Failstaff because there's almost zero overheads/investment required in this business (pay a fiverr poo $5 to slap together a cover one time and that's it). With around 30 titles under their belt selling a combined 300 copies every month, that's a thousand dollars earned that they wouldn't have otherwise. All in return for doing virtually nothing except taking advantage of some dumb wanna-be-staphanie-meyer cunt like Maven here.

The real advantage of actually (((publishing))) is that they'll invest their jew shekels towards an advertising budget and acutally push your book on the market. Meanwhile, all a company like Failstaff Cucks does is upload your manuscript into amazon's system, a system specifically designed for nobody authors to upload books into themselves.

So here's the really hilarious part: 99% of Elisa's book sales will be from thirsters in the following she already has. With a fanbase like hers (small but extremely bookish and thirsty), she could have made a cool couple thousand off the title if she simply published it herself. But since she's going this route, Failstaff Cucks is gonna take 60% of that pie while giving nothing in return. She writes the book, she brings the audience who's gonna buy it, they make her feel like she's a real author. Pretty good racket on their part.
SpoilerShow

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:40 pm

I guess she thinks it's more "professional" if the name of a "real" publisher is attached to her magnum opus.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

wildmage

Post by wildmage » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:28 pm

Being an author that works as an author is impossible these days. Let alone being a pimp with a stable of authors. I can see the logic behind your posts, it's like an insurance company: if you don't sell, the company takes the hit so you have to raise the premiums. But with a digital format, with 0 overheads?

I know a guy that started his own and his MO was pretty much, "if it's on written form I'll publish it" because he wanted brand recognition. He wanted every new author in every part of my county to have ties with him in a bid to throw all shit at the wall and see what sticks, as well as getting a backlog big enough to compete with the big boys. His physical stock was so ridiculously low that he sometimes called the bookstores he sold his stock to to lend him copies to present at a different bookstore during tours and book readings.

drisko

Post by drisko » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:52 am

So Bennet's been losing weight and decided to video himself discovering he's now under 200 pounds. Spoiler: He starts crying.

Rododendro

Post by Rododendro » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:23 am

Hello, long time lurker, I had an account on the old DHI but I'm too lazy to register.
I would like to introduce you to another internet nobody: Tyger.
On the surface Tyger is your typical internet nobody: he hopes to make it big, he is friend with an ex from Channel Awesome (Chaos D1), furry and SJW.
What makes him a perfect case study is his growing disappointment with the youtube platform and the internet community in general as his continuous attempts trying to get the sweet money and fame keep failing.
First, he tries to make a show analysing a genre that is dying: https://www.youtube.com/user/MUD2MMO/videos
Please notice how not a single video goes above the 3.000 views.
Time to yell at a cloud and abandon the sinking ship (or better, the ship that did not even stay afloat) and start anew:
New show, this time with even more of a niche crowd, reviewing concerts movies: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrlkZU ... tvQ/videos
Once more not a single video goes above the 3.000 views.
Cherry on top of the cake, somebody report the channel for copyright infringement, anger and disappointment ensures:
[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qmNacX-jTU[/youtube]
But the real meltdown continues on Twitter, while each single twit is masterfully crafted by a bitter angry man fighting an imaginary war against an unjust system, some need mention:

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:26 am

A fucking furry. Goddamn it, every time.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:03 am

Didn't we have a mud2mmo thread before
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

MegaNigger
Blackpill Merchant

Post by MegaNigger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:29 pm

Maybe if he passive aggressively spergs harder on social media things will start happening for him. That's what heroes do.

If he hasn't started blaming Drumpf, he will shortly.
-The user formerly known as CIANigger

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:42 pm

Oh yeah, that guy. Why do furries always shove their weird fursona into everyones face? Or maybe he only ever happened to talk about WoW (where his fursona comes from apparently).
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette